Old 10-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Aryan Ameri

Default Cant Boot the system after upgrading from Jaunty for Karmic

Hi,

I upgraded from Jaunty to Karmic this morning via update manager.
Everything went well initially. The installation of all packages
succeeded, the system reboot, and correctly put the new kernel in GRUB
(It didn't upgrade to GRUB 2 but I was expecting that). Even after the
reboot, the system ran fine. I installed some applications from
Synaptic, and it was all good.

Then I rebooted the computer once more, (proper reboot, not a cold one)
and afterwards, the system can't boot. GRUB loads fine, and starts the
boot process, and I can see the new Ubuntu boot logo, but half way in
the process, a message flashes on the screen (too briefly for me to be
able to read any of it) and then it reboots. I have tried the recovery
mode, as well as the 2.6.28 kernel left over from Jaunty on Grub and its
recovery mode, and I can't boot the system using any of them.

This is a 64-bit system, and all partitions were/are running JFS, in
case that makes any difference.

Any hint/advice on how I can fix this? Thanks.

Cheers

--
Aryan Ameri

Old 10-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Avi Greenbury

Aryan Ameri <info@ameri.me> wrote:
> Any hint/advice on how I can fix this? Thanks.

My first port of call would be to boot with a LiveCD and see if that
works. If so, check the contents of /var/log on the broken install's
disk. If not, I presume a <=9.04 disk will.

What hardware have you got? There're definitely a couple of known bugs
that break booting floating around, but I don't know any more details
than that.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk