Old 10-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Hans de Goede

Default Use a "change" event instead of "add" to populate udev db

Hi,

On 10/29/2009 08:29 PM, David Lehman wrote:

For F12, these go in just as they are. For rawhide, I want to remove the
attr_nomatch keyword argument from baseudev.udev_trigger and change the
udev_trigger calls to instead specify a "change" event, effectively
making master look like f12 after these patches.

Both patches look ok, but I wonder if this change wont cause any
unpleasant new issues so late in the F-12 cycle.

Regards,

Hans

Old 10-29-2009, 08:12 PM
David Lehman

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 21:16 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/29/2009 08:29 PM, David Lehman wrote:
> > For F12, these go in just as they are. For rawhide, I want to remove the
> > attr_nomatch keyword argument from baseudev.udev_trigger and change the
> > udev_trigger calls to instead specify a "change" event, effectively
> > making master look like f12 after these patches.
> >

> Both patches look ok, but I wonder if this change wont cause any
> unpleasant new issues so late in the F-12 cycle.

Well, it's intended to fix an unpleasant new issue

I worried about it a little at first, but no more. It's probably more
correct anyhow, and I don't think many, if any, of the rules we care
about make any distinction between add/change (except, of course, the
device-mapper rules).

James Laska tested the patch on a live install and I tested it in a qemu
non-live install. Both installs behaved normally.

Dave

Old 10-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Chris Lumens

> For F12, these go in just as they are. For rawhide, I want to remove the
> attr_nomatch keyword argument from baseudev.udev_trigger and change the
> udev_trigger calls to instead specify a "change" event, effectively
> making master look like f12 after these patches.

This being a blocker bug, if you've tested it and it's got the QA
approval (which it looks like it does from jlaska), I am okay with this
going onto f12-branch.

But it does make me a little nervous. Any idea what change introduced
this /dev/dm-0 bug to begin with?

- Chris

Old 10-29-2009, 08:35 PM
David Lehman

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 17:19 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > For F12, these go in just as they are. For rawhide, I want to remove the
> > attr_nomatch keyword argument from baseudev.udev_trigger and change the
> > udev_trigger calls to instead specify a "change" event, effectively
> > making master look like f12 after these patches.
>
> This being a blocker bug, if you've tested it and it's got the QA
> approval (which it looks like it does from jlaska), I am okay with this
> going onto f12-branch.
>
> But it does make me a little nervous. Any idea what change introduced
> this /dev/dm-0 bug to begin with?

The direct cause is the new bits in 70-anaconda.rules to ignore "add"
events for device-mapper devices. I added it at the request of the lvm
team as part of commit d04d7f33f5.

Dave