Old 10-29-2009, 07:08 PM
PleegWat

Default Login screen user list

Hi,

How do I turn the user list off? I prefer having to type in the user
name. I'm pretty sure the looks and functionality could be configured
before (under System/Administration/Login screen) but that only offers
an autologin option.

PleegWat

Old 10-29-2009, 08:29 PM
NoOp

On 10/29/2009 01:08 PM, PleegWat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do I turn the user list off? I prefer having to type in the user
> name. I'm pretty sure the looks and functionality could be configured
> before (under System/Administration/Login screen) but that only offers
> an autologin option.
>
> PleegWat

$ sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set --type boolean
/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list true

Courtesy of Alvin Thompson (who never did post back on where he found
the solution).

Old 10-29-2009, 09:02 PM
PleegWat

NoOp wrote:
> On 10/29/2009 01:08 PM, PleegWat wrote:
>> How do I turn the user list off? I prefer having to type in the user
>> name. I'm pretty sure the looks and functionality could be configured
>> before (under System/Administration/Login screen) but that only offers
>> an autologin option.
>
> $ sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set --type boolean
> /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list true
>
> Courtesy of Alvin Thompson (who never did post back on where he found
> the solution).

That did it. Thanks!

PleegWat

Old 11-01-2009, 05:58 AM
Florian Diesch

PleegWat <pleegwat@telfort.nl> writes:

> How do I turn the user list off? I prefer having to type in the user
> name. I'm pretty sure the looks and functionality could be configured
> before (under System/Administration/Login screen) but that only offers
> an autologin option.

In GConf set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list to True (using
gconf-editor or gconftool)

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/shell-scripts/>

Old 11-01-2009, 04:37 PM
NoOp

On 10/31/2009 11:58 PM, Florian Diesch wrote:
> PleegWat <pleegwat@telfort.nl> writes:
>
>> How do I turn the user list off? I prefer having to type in the user
>> name. I'm pretty sure the looks and functionality could be configured
>> before (under System/Administration/Login screen) but that only offers
>> an autologin option.
>
> In GConf set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list to True (using
> gconf-editor or gconftool)
>

> Florian

Unless something's changed in the past week or so, that didn't work for
me. Does it work for you? I had to use Alvin's solution:

Old 11-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Tom H

NoOp wrote:
> Florian Diesch wrote:
>> PleegWat wrote:

>>> How do I turn the user list off? I prefer having to type in the user
>>> name. I'm pretty sure the looks and functionality could be configured
>>> before (under System/Administration/Login screen) but that only offers
>>> an autologin option.

>> In GConf set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list to True (using
>> gconf-editor or gconftool)

> Unless something's changed in the past week or so, that didn't work for
> me. Does it work for you? I had to use Alvin's solution:
> $ sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set --type boolean
> /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list true

You are right. Changing "disable_user_list" with "sudo gconf-editor"
does not work. You can make the change, the user list appears at boot,
and when you go back to "disable_user_list", it is selected.

"sudo gconf-editor" opens gconf-editor as root. Is root not allowed to
write to the conf file its GUI edits even though the edits are
recorded as having been made?!

"sudo -u gdm gconf-editor" opens gconf-editor as gdm but there are no
keys displayed. Is gdm not allowed even to read the keys from the
GUI?!

What am I missing?

No time to try to figure this out tonight.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:45 PM
James Michael Fultz

* Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> [2009-11-01 22:38 +0200]:
> "sudo -u gdm gconf-editor" opens gconf-editor as gdm but there are no
> keys displayed. Is gdm not allowed even to read the keys from the
> GUI?!

I'm not booted into Karmic at the moment where I could try it, but does
"gksu -u gdm gconf-editor" work? gksu should be used for starting an
X application with alternate privileges, while sudo is used otherwise.

gksu vs. sudo examples:

$ gksu gedit /etc/hosts

vs.

$ sudo nano /etc/hosts

Going a bit further off-topic, if you're editing a text file, look into
sudoedit.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:43 AM
Tom H

James Michael Fultz wrote:

> Tom H wrote:

>> "sudo gconf-editor" opens gconf-editor as root. Is root not allowed to
>> write to the conf file its GUI edits even though the edits are
>> recorded as having been made?!

>> "sudo -u gdm gconf-editor" opens gconf-editor as gdm but there are no
>> keys displayed. Is gdm not allowed even to read the keys from the
>> GUI?!

> I'm not booted into Karmic at the moment where I could try it, but does
> "gksu -u gdm gconf-editor" work?*gksu should be used for starting an
> X application with alternate privileges, while sudo is used otherwise.
> gksu vs. sudo examples:
> $ gksu gedit /etc/hosts
> vs.
> $ sudo nano /etc/hosts
> Going a bit further off-topic, if you're editing a text file, look into
> sudoedit.

Thanks but except for gconf-editor, I run "su -" and ...

Answer to the first problem:

"sudo gconf-editor" and changing the "disable_user_list" to true modifies
/root/.gconf/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/%gconf.xml
when the file that controls the user list is
/var/lib/gdm/.gconf/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/%gconf.xml

I copied the "disable_user_list" entry from the first to the second
and the login screen user list was disabled. The entry did not even
exist, which means that when I first started looking, grep did not
find anything.

I now remember why I use gconf-editor rather than gconf-tool or vi.
Not only is every setting almost in a single file, but the keys often
do not even exist if they are not set; and over and above this, xml is
a pain to read and to write.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:19 AM
James Michael Fultz

* Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> [2009-11-02 06:43 +0200]:
> "sudo gconf-editor" and changing the "disable_user_list" to true modifies
> /root/.gconf/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/%gconf.xml

That's because using sudo with no '-u' argument runs the command as
root, and '/root' is root's home directory.

> when the file that controls the user list is
> /var/lib/gdm/.gconf/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/%gconf.xml

And '/var/lib/gdm' is user gdm's home directory.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:26 AM
Tom H

>> "sudo gconf-editor" and changing the "disable_user_list" to true modifies
>> /root/.gconf/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/%gconf.xml
>
> That's because using sudo with no '-u' argument runs the command as
> root, and '/root' is root's home directory.
>
>> when the file that controls the user list is
>> /var/lib/gdm/.gconf/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/%gconf.xml
>
> And '/var/lib/gdm' is user gdm's home directory.

Of course. It is surprising (to me anyway) that you have to be gdm and
not root to change that setting.