Old 10-29-2009, 04:56 PM
William Biggs

Default I download the iso

I would like to know if I can upgrade to 9.10 from 9.04 after I download
the iso with out burning it ?

Old 10-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Avi Greenbury

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:56:58 -0400
William Biggs <kc8pdr@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to know if I can upgrade to 9.10 from 9.04 after I
> download the iso with out burning it ?

I don't think you can do the upgrade from the ISO. It's only designed
for being burnt.

If the machine you want to upgrade is connected to the internet, you
can do

sudo do-release-upgrade

In a terminal, and it will perform an in-place upgrade. It will be
slow, though, the servers are being hammered at the minute.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 10-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Raseel Bhagat

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:56:58 -0400

William Biggs <kc8pdr@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to know if I can upgrade to 9.10 from 9.04 after I

> download the iso with out burning it ?

I don't think you can do the upgrade from the ISO. It's only designed

for being burnt.

If the machine you want to upgrade is connected to the internet, you

can do

*sudo do-release-upgrade

In a terminal, and it will perform an in-place upgrade. It will be

slow, though, the servers are being hammered at the minute.

Well up until 9.04 you were able to Upgrade using the Alternate CD.
Don't know if this is discontinued in 9.10.

Will find out tomorrow ;-)

Thanks,
Raseel

Old 10-29-2009, 05:58 PM
NoOp

On 10/29/2009 10:56 AM, William Biggs wrote:
> I would like to know if I can upgrade to 9.10 from 9.04 after I download
> the iso with out burning it ?

You (and others) probably forgot to read (in full): :-)
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
<quote>
If the ISO file is on the computer to be upgraded, you could avoid
wasting a CD by mounting the ISO as a drive with a command like:

sudo mount -o loop ~/Desktop/ubuntu-9.10-alternate-i386.iso /media/cdrom0
</quote>

Old 10-29-2009, 06:14 PM
James Michael Fultz

* William Biggs <kc8pdr@gmail.com> [2009-10-29 13:56 -0400]:
> I would like to know if I can upgrade to 9.10 from 9.04 after I download
> the iso with out burning it ?

Yes.

<http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading#Upgrading%20Using%20the%20Alternate%20CD %2fDVD>

Old 10-29-2009, 06:37 PM

Am Do, 29. Oktober 2009 19:04:09 schrieb Avi Greenbury:
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:56:58 -0400
>
> William Biggs <kc8pdr@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would like to know if I can upgrade to 9.10 from 9.04 after I
> > download the iso with out burning it ?
>
> I don't think you can do the upgrade from the ISO. It's only designed
> for being burnt.
Avi, you are wrong here, I would say!

1. Of course one can do an upgrade from a cd/dvd
(whatelse than installing/upgrading are cd/dvd medias made for?)

2. and of course one can do an upgrade from an mounted iso image
(I do so since there is a loop device in the kernel, since ?1997? afaik)

In the following I will describe two cenarios for an upgrade.

The first one is for a cd/dvd media, suitable for a single standalone machine.

The second a bit more complex one is for an upgrade iso-image which will be
offered via an apache web server to a local network.

1st cenario, for a single upgrade of one machine:

- put in the cd so it's mounted
- Open a terminal
- Enter "sudo apt-cdrom add"
- Start synaptic or any packet manager of your choice, or type in a terminal:
sudo aptitude -u full-upgrade

Youre done!

2nd cenario, for an upgrade of a number of machines in your local network
- you need:
the iso file,
a working local network ,
one machine with apache running who will offer the upgrade to the local net
and of course at least one machine who will act as client for an upgrade
(of course the server can act also as client)

2.0 Setup prerequisites:
- You need an apache web server running on the machine which will offer the
upgrade to your local network.
A simple "sudo aptitude install apache2" in a terminal will do the job...

2.1 Setup of an upgrade iso image, the "Server Side":

- create a mount point for the iso file:
In a terminal enter
sudo mkdir /mnt/loop

- mount the iso file
sudo mount /home/johndoe/karmic-dvd-i386.iso -o loop /mnt/loop
where
"/home/johndoe/" is the directory of your iso file
and "karmic-dvd-i386.iso" is the name of your iso file
replace it by the directory and name of your iso file.

As a test, a
ls -l /mnt/loop
should show the content of the iso file

- make a link from /var/www to your /mnt/loop directory:
sudo ln -s /mnt/loop /mnt/loop/ubuntu

As a test open firefox or any browser of your choice and go to
http://192.168.1.123/ubuntu/
Where 192.168.1.123 is the IP number of this machine,
replace it by your IP number
(an "ifconfig" in a terminal will show all network cards and their IP
numbers)

You should see a listing of the content of the iso image

(If you don't see the content of the iso image in your browser:
- let apache reload its modules and reinitialise it's data directory
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reload
)

2.2 Setup of a client machine
- Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file
sudo editor /etc/apt/sources.list
add the folowing line
deb http://192.168.1.123/ubuntu/ karmic main universe restricted
where 192.168.1.123 is the IP number of your upgrade server, see above.

2.3 upgrade the client machine
- start an upgrade from a terminal:
sudo aptitude -u full-upgrade

And voilla, your done...

regards,
thomas

Old 10-29-2009, 06:45 PM

Am Do, 29. Oktober 2009 20:37:53 schrieb email.listen@googlemail.com:
> - make a link from /var/www to your /mnt/loop directory:
> sudo ln -s /mnt/loop /mnt/loop/ubuntu

Gnarglll...
(tonk, tonk, tonk,... thomas, hitting his head on the table, wood on wood.)

Stupid me!

It should be

sudo ln -s /mnt/loop /var/www/ubuntu

beg your pardon,
thomas

Old 10-29-2009, 06:57 PM
William Biggs

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 15:14 -0400, James Michael Fultz wrote:
> * William Biggs <kc8pdr@gmail.com> [2009-10-29 13:56 -0400]:
> > I would like to know if I can upgrade to 9.10 from 9.04 after I download
> > the iso with out burning it ?
>
> Yes.
>
> <http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading#Upgrading%20Using%20the%20Alternate%20CD %2fDVD>
Thank you for all your help I got it installed I love the new ver.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Avi Greenbury

email.listen@googlemail.com wrote:
> Avi, you are wrong here, I would say!

Yup. Yesterday was a day almost completely devoid of coffee. I'm still
not entirely certain what thought process led to that email.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk