Old 10-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Chris Jones

Default Can I install X applications on Ubuntu Server to run on a remote display?

Hi,

Chris G wrote:
> I have Ubuntu Server 9.10 (late release candidate, will update soon)
> installed on an Acer Aspire Revo. If I install some X applications
> will it try and install display drivers and such? I don't want to run
> a local display on the Revo but it would be convenient to do some
> configuration with a GUI from my main desktop machine if I can.

Yes, it should be possible to install any X application without
triggering the installation of X.org itself, which you don't need if you
don't plan on running an X server on your remote server.

Just try running

> apt-get install XYZ

to install whatever it is you want, and if you don't like the look of
the dependencies that tries to drag in, just decline the installation
and post them here.

Chris