Old 10-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Mike A

Default Java System Tray Question.

Hi

I am running Ubuntu 9.04 and Java 1.6.0_0. I tried to run a Java app
that uses the System Tray (Notification bar) on Gnome. It failed. I
wrote the following simple test.

----------------------------
package myapp;
import java.awt.*;

public class Main {

if (SystemTray.isSupported()) {
System.out.println("It is supported!");
} else {
System.out.println("It is not supported!");
}
}
}

-----------------------------------
It returned "It is not supported!"
Anybody know what is wrong?

Mike

Old 10-29-2009, 07:15 PM
"Mark H. Nichols"

Mike,

On Oct 29, 2009, at 12:52 PM, Mike A wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am running Ubuntu 9.04 and Java 1.6.0_0. I tried to run a Java app
> that uses the System Tray (Notification bar) on Gnome. It failed. I
> wrote the following simple test.
>
> ----------------------------
> package myapp;
> import java.awt.*;
>
> public class Main {

> if (SystemTray.isSupported()) {
> System.out.println("It is supported!");
> } else {
> System.out.println("It is not supported!");
> }
> }
> }
>
> -----------------------------------
> It returned "It is not supported!"
> Anybody know what is wrong?

I don't know what is wrong. But you might look at this and see if it
helps, or points you in the right direction: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/alexfromsun/archive/2008/02/jtrayicon_updat.html

Mark

Old 10-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Mike A

Mark H. Nichols wrote:
> Mike,
>
> On Oct 29, 2009, at 12:52 PM, Mike A wrote:
>

>> Hi
>>
>> I am running Ubuntu 9.04 and Java 1.6.0_0. I tried to run a Java app
>> that uses the System Tray (Notification bar) on Gnome. It failed. I
>> wrote the following simple test.
>>
>> ----------------------------
>> package myapp;
>> import java.awt.*;
>>
>> public class Main {

>> if (SystemTray.isSupported()) {
>> System.out.println("It is supported!");
>> } else {
>> System.out.println("It is not supported!");
>> }
>> }
>> }
>>
>> -----------------------------------
>> It returned "It is not supported!"
>> Anybody know what is wrong?
>>

> I don't know what is wrong. But you might look at this and see if it
> helps, or points you in the right direction: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/alexfromsun/archive/2008/02/jtrayicon_updat.html
>
> Mark

Mark

Thanks for the reply. I read the reference you gave and thought Ubuntu
9.04 distro might not have the updates it mentioned. Since I do all Java
development in netbeans, I installed the latest netbeans/java bundle.
Now my test program indicates that the System Tray is supported.

Mike