Old 10-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Nifty Micro Mitch

Default Cannon Support

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 08:11:01PM +0000, Mark C. Miller wrote:

> Is it just me, or does Canon not like Linus very much? I have a computer
> running Ubuntu 9.04.
>
> I have a Cannon camera.
>
> When I plug the camera into one of the usb ports, the camera" mounts and
> I can maneuver to the files on the camera's memory (SD card). I can't no
> matter what I try to do, transfer the files to the Ubuntu computer's hard
> drive. I tried to "select all" -- didn't work. Tried to move just one
> file -- didn't work. Tried to use fspot -- didn't work.

If I count correctly there are four key permutations to check.
- camera setting to communicate with computer
+ mount as a dos filesystem, mass storage
+ access via ptp or other protocol
- camera image mode
+ raw (Nikon is not the same raw that Canon has etc.)
+ jpgi
+ both jpg+raw or some other format. (sure this is five)

In general PTP ( see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_camera ) is
the way to go. If you are using a mass storage then the camera will
look like a filesystem much like a flash memory usb key. Sometimes
"both" modes will appear active so check the camera setting and know
what the hardwired mode is should there be no choice.

Scan your cameras manual and check how the camera is setup to communicate
with a computer and how it saves images. If you are specific about
your camera make and model someone may have the same camera and just
know the answer without researching the vendor web site.

Oh and do check your batteries. Communicating with a computer can
tax tired bateries so replace or recharge them.

--
T o m M i t c h e l l
Found me a new hat, now what?