Old 10-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Colin Brace

Default Ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix: not Live???

Hi all,

I just picked up the iso image "ubuntu-9.10-rc-netbook-remix-i386" via BT
which I would like to try out on a Eee PC I recently acquired.

However, the program liveusb-creator, which I installed on my Fedora
desktop, doesn't recognize this as a live disk:

Verifying filesystem...
Verifying ISO MD5 checksum
ISO MD5 checksum passed
Extracting live image to USB device...
Unable to find LiveOS on ISO
LiveUSB creation failed!

Like most netbooks, this Eee doesn't have an optical drive, hence how am I
supposed to install it?

-----
Colin Brace
Amsterdam
http://lim.nl

Old 10-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Marco Antonio Abreu

Hi Colin,

you have to create an flash drive with the image. More details at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromImgFiles

[]'s,
Marco

I just picked up the iso image "ubuntu-9.10-rc-netbook-remix-i386" via BT

which I would like to try out on a Eee PC I recently acquired.

However, the program liveusb-creator, which I installed on my Fedora

desktop, doesn't recognize this as a live disk:

Verifying filesystem...

Verifying ISO MD5 checksum

ISO MD5 checksum passed

Extracting live image to USB device...

Unable to find LiveOS on ISO

LiveUSB creation failed!

Like most netbooks, this Eee doesn't have an optical drive, hence how am I

supposed to install it?

-----

*Colin Brace

*Amsterdam

*http://lim.nl

Marco Antonio Abreu
mabreu.ti@gmail.com
System Analist/Developer

Old 10-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Sarunas Burdulis

Old 10-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Colin Brace

Marco Antonio Abreu-3 wrote:

> you have to create an flash drive with the image. More details at
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromImgFiles

Yes, I realize that Marco. However, this page you refer to
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromImgFiles> indicates that
one needs an IMG file to create a bootable USB stick:

[...]
Ubuntu is distributed over the Internet as two types of files: CD image
files, called ISOs, and flash image files, called IMGs. To install Ubuntu
from flash media, you first need to write the downloaded IMG image to your
flash device.
[...]
The GettingUbuntu page has links to the IMG and ISO image files, as well as
other methods of GettingUbuntu.
[...]

However, I don't see an IMG file for the netbook remix on, for example, my
local mirror: <http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/linux/ubuntu-releases/9.10/>
which lists:

ubuntu-9.10-netbook-remix-i386.iso 23:59 28-10-09 713887744
ubuntu-9.10-netbook-remix-i386.iso.torrent 13:53 29-10-09 27470
ubuntu-9.10-netbook-remix-i386.iso.zsync 13:53 29-10-09 1394511
ubuntu-9.10-netbook-remix-i386.list 23:59 28-10-09 4243
ubuntu-9.10-netbook-remix-i386.manifest

According to usb-creator program, the above .ISO file which I just
downloaded is not bootable.

On this page <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick>,
it gives instructions for using usb-creator, which I assume is Ubuntu's
equivalent of Fedora's liveusb-creator:

[...]
It should do everything needed you just need to have a live cd in you CD-Rom
or show the usb-creator the ISO image of it and the rest of the process is
automatic!
[...]

So, unless I mistaken, I need a an .IMG file or an .ISO file of a live disk
to boot and/or install the netbook remix. But I don't see one in the
downloads.

I think I know what I am doing here; using liveusb-creator I have just
created a bootable USB stick with the Fedora 12 beta; the file I downloaded
and copied to the USB stick was: F12-Beta-i686-Live.iso. That boots. Now I
would like to take a look at Ubuntu on my Eee PC.

Thanks.

-----
Colin Brace
Amsterdam
http://lim.nl

Old 11-01-2009, 01:06 PM
The Eye In The Sky

Colin Brace wrote:
> Yes, I realize that Marco. However, this page you refer to
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromImgFiles> indicates that
> one needs an IMG file to create a bootable USB stick:

The UNR 9.04 had the IMG file which was ready to be dd-ed to the USB
flash disk and bootable. It also had the ISO image.
The UNR 9.10 does not have that IMG file. It uses ISO image which need
to be read by USB creator which in turns will marry the ISO image with
SYSLinux to make it bootable.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Colin Brace

The_Eye_in_The_Sky wrote:

> The UNR 9.04 had the IMG file which was ready to be dd-ed to the USB
> flash disk and bootable. It also had the ISO image.
> The UNR 9.10 does not have that IMG file. It uses ISO image which need
> to be read by USB creator which in turns will marry the ISO image with
> SYSLinux to make it bootable.

Well, in my experience liveusb-creator doesn't recognize the ISO file as a
live OS, but just now I have found that unetbootin does; with it I was able
create a bootable USB stick and install UNR on an Eee PC.

-----
Colin Brace
Amsterdam
http://lim.nl