Old 10-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Larry Shields

Default PDF Editor...?

*Is there a good pdf editor, I have a manual which is in the pdf format,
the first part is in english, the second part is in spanish*...*So that
part I would like to edit out, which would save alot of printing & paper...

Thanks for any help any one can offer...

Larry
*

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 9.10 Karmic

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 10-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Rakotomandimby Mihamina

10/29/2009 03:40 PM, Larry Shields::
> Is there a good pdf editor, I have a manual which is in the pdf format,
> the first part is in english, the second part is in spanish*...*So that
> part I would like to edit out, which would save alot of printing& paper...

Just use page selection from you viewer/printer!
You are able to select which pages you want to print.

+261 33 11 207 36

Old 10-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Ian Coetzee

My guess is it will just be easier to "print" those parts out by
reprinting the relevant pages (I am assuming that the languages are on
different pages).

I usually do that to a pdf, by using "pdf creator" under windows,
however I have no idea how to print to pdf under linux, maybe someone
else can fill that blank spot in for me.

HTH

Old 10-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Fred Roller

Ian Coetzee wrote:
> My guess is it will just be easier to "print" those parts out by
> reprinting the relevant pages (I am assuming that the languages are on
> different pages).
>
> I usually do that to a pdf, by using "pdf creator" under windows,
> however I have no idea how to print to pdf under linux, maybe someone
> else can fill that blank spot in for me.
>
> HTH
>
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Larry Shields <larryesu@charter.net> wrote:
>
>> *Is there a good pdf editor, I have a manual which is in the pdf format,
>> the first part is in english, the second part is in spanish*...*So that
>> part I would like to edit out, which would save alot of printing & paper...
>>
>> Thanks for any help any one can offer...
>>
>> Larry
>> *
>>
>> --
>> Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
>> by Ubuntu ver 9.10 Karmic
>> 73 de Larry/wd9esu 33yr's A.R.O.
>> Reg# Linux User 484593
>>
>> "This is Linux Country,
>> on a quiet night you can hear
>> WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"
>>
>> GPG Fingerprint: A4D2 BFC2 B21B 8F7A C336 EFDC 7039 3CA5 3332 076E
>> Public Key available from subkeys.pgp.net
>>

>> --

Print to file, choose pdf, name file, choose location. If you would
like to edit the document itself then from with in the document:

ctrl+a -> right click -> copy

open an open office writer document:
Applications -> Office -> Openoffice.org Word Processor

in the new document:

right click -> paste

from here you should be able to edit if your document carried over well
enough. Once you are done first save as a document (click save) then
export to pdf if you desire:

file -> export to pdf

=============
if you like you could also explore the pdfto* programs in command line:

pdfto[tab][tab]

froller@metis:~$ pdfto
pdftoabw pdftohtml pdftoppm pdftops pdftotext

which will convert a pdf to a number of formats. Hope this helps.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."

Old 10-29-2009, 12:57 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Ian Coetzee wrote:
> My guess is it will just be easier to "print" those parts out by
> reprinting the relevant pages (I am assuming that the languages are on
> different pages).
>
> I usually do that to a pdf, by using "pdf creator" under windows,
> however I have no idea how to print to pdf under linux, maybe someone
> else can fill that blank spot in for me.
>
> HTH
>
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Larry Shields <larryesu@charter.net> wrote:
>> *Is there a good pdf editor, I have a manual which is in the pdf format,
>> the first part is in english, the second part is in spanish*...*So that
>> part I would like to edit out, which would save alot of printing & paper...
>>
>> Thanks for any help any one can offer...
>>
>> Larry
>> *
>>
>> --
>> Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
>> by Ubuntu ver 9.10 Karmic
>> 73 de Larry/wd9esu 33yr's A.R.O.
>> Reg# Linux User 484593
>>
>> "This is Linux Country,
>> on a quiet night you can hear
>> WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"
>>
>> GPG Fingerprint: A4D2 BFC2 B21B 8F7A C336 EFDC 7039 3CA5 3332 076E
>> Public Key available from subkeys.pgp.net
>>

>> --

Since I use Ubuntu 9.10 the Linux pdf viewer has a place you
can write down just the pages you want to print. Very simple
but write down what you want before you start.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 10-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Larry Shields

Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
> 10/29/2009 03:40 PM, Larry Shields::
>
>> Is there a good pdf editor, I have a manual which is in the pdf format,
>> the first part is in english, the second part is in spanish*...*So that
>> part I would like to edit out, which would save alot of printing& paper...
>>

> Just use page selection from you viewer/printer!
> You are able to select which pages you want to print.

*Ok thanks to the both of you, but I found that using Document Viewer
works for what I want...It is now printing...

Thanks Larry
*

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 9.10 Karmic

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 10-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Larry Shields

Fred Roller wrote:
> Ian Coetzee wrote:
>
>> My guess is it will just be easier to "print" those parts out by
>> reprinting the relevant pages (I am assuming that the languages are on
>> different pages).
>>
>> I usually do that to a pdf, by using "pdf creator" under windows,
>> however I have no idea how to print to pdf under linux, maybe someone
>> else can fill that blank spot in for me.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Larry Shields <larryesu@charter.net> wrote:
>>

>>> *Is there a good pdf editor, I have a manual which is in the pdf format,
>>> the first part is in english, the second part is in spanish*...*So that
>>> part I would like to edit out, which would save alot of printing & paper...
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help any one can offer...
>>>
>>> Larry
>>> *
>>>
>>> --
>>> Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
>>> by Ubuntu ver 9.10 Karmic
>>> 73 de Larry/wd9esu 33yr's A.R.O.
>>> Reg# Linux User 484593
>>>
>>> "This is Linux Country,
>>> on a quiet night you can hear
>>> WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"
>>>
>>> GPG Fingerprint: A4D2 BFC2 B21B 8F7A C336 EFDC 7039 3CA5 3332 076E
>>> Public Key available from subkeys.pgp.net
>>>

>>> --
>>>

> Print to file, choose pdf, name file, choose location. If you would
> like to edit the document itself then from with in the document:
>
> ctrl+a -> right click -> copy
>
> open an open office writer document:
> Applications -> Office -> Openoffice.org Word Processor
>
> in the new document:
>
> right click -> paste
>
> from here you should be able to edit if your document carried over well
> enough. Once you are done first save as a document (click save) then
> export to pdf if you desire:
>
> file -> export to pdf
>
> =============
> if you like you could also explore the pdfto* programs in command line:
>
> pdfto[tab][tab]
>
> froller@metis:~$ pdfto
> pdftoabw pdftohtml pdftoppm pdftops pdftotext
>
> which will convert a pdf to a number of formats. Hope this helps.

*Hello Fred,

Thank you for the info, I will try that next time when I want to edit
out some thing in a pdf format...

Have a nice day... ;-)

Larry
*

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 9.10 Karmic

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 10-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Larry Shields

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Ian Coetzee wrote:
>
>> My guess is it will just be easier to "print" those parts out by
>> reprinting the relevant pages (I am assuming that the languages are on
>> different pages).
>>
>> I usually do that to a pdf, by using "pdf creator" under windows,
>> however I have no idea how to print to pdf under linux, maybe someone
>> else can fill that blank spot in for me.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Larry Shields <larryesu@charter.net> wrote:
>>
>>> *Is there a good pdf editor, I have a manual which is in the pdf format,
>>> the first part is in english, the second part is in spanish*...*So that
>>> part I would like to edit out, which would save alot of printing & paper...
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help any one can offer...
>>>
>>> Larry
>>> *
>>>
>>> --
>>> Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
>>> by Ubuntu ver 9.10 Karmic
>>> 73 de Larry/wd9esu 33yr's A.R.O.
>>> Reg# Linux User 484593
>>>
>>> "This is Linux Country,
>>> on a quiet night you can hear
>>> WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"
>>>
>>> GPG Fingerprint: A4D2 BFC2 B21B 8F7A C336 EFDC 7039 3CA5 3332 076E
>>> Public Key available from subkeys.pgp.net
>>>

>>> --
>>>

> Since I use Ubuntu 9.10 the Linux pdf viewer has a place you
> can write down just the pages you want to print. Very simple
> but write down what you want before you start.
>
> 73 Karl

*Hi Karl,

I too am using 9.10, and have since the first beta version came out,
just keep'ed with all of the updates...So far it is working just fine
here...

Also I did try pdf viewer, but I suppose that I did not realize that you
print out only what you wanted...So I will look into it alittle more...

Thanks for the reply...

Larry
*

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 9.10 Karmic

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 10-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Andrew Farris

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 07:40 -0500, Larry Shields wrote:
> *Is there a good pdf editor, I have a manual which is in the pdf format,
> the first part is in english, the second part is in spanish*...*So that
> part I would like to edit out, which would save alot of printing & paper...

Even though you've already got a solution here, for future reference you
can also give pdfedit a try. it's in the repos (search for "pdfedit").

It provides a pretty nice GUI for editing PDFs, and lets you do all
sorts of things, like split up documents, add/remove pages, and even
edit text in the pdf (provided it isn't a scanned image).

Hopefully that might prove useful to you some time in the future

--
Andrew

Old 10-30-2009, 07:42 AM
Patton Echols

On 10/29/2009 05:22 PM, Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 07:40 -0500, Larry Shields wrote:
>
>> *Is there a good pdf editor, I have a manual which is in the pdf format,
>> the first part is in english, the second part is in spanish*...*So that
>> part I would like to edit out, which would save alot of printing & paper...
>>

> Even though you've already got a solution here, for future reference you
> can also give pdfedit a try. it's in the repos (search for "pdfedit").
>
> It provides a pretty nice GUI for editing PDFs, and lets you do all
> sorts of things, like split up documents, add/remove pages, and even
> edit text in the pdf (provided it isn't a scanned image).
>
> Hopefully that might prove useful to you some time in the future

Just one more for those reading. If you just want basic functions, like
pulling out all the odd numbered pages into a new pdf, try "pdftk" It
is not an editor, more of a manipulator. From the man page:

DESCRIPTION
If PDF is electronic paper, then pdftk is an electronic
staple-remover,
hole-punch, binder, secret-decoder-ring, and X-Ray-glasses.
Pdftk is a
simple tool for doing everyday things with PDF documents. Use it to:

* Merge PDF Documents
* Split PDF Pages into a New Document
* Rotate PDF Documents or Pages
* Decrypt Input as Necessary (Password Required)
* Encrypt Output as Desired
* Fill PDF Forms with X/FDF Data and/or Flatten Forms
* Generate FDF Data Stencil from PDF Forms
* Apply a Background Watermark or a Foreground Stamp
* Report PDF Metrics such as Metadata and Bookmarks
* Update PDF Metadata
* Attach Files to PDF Pages or the PDF Document
* Unpack PDF Attachments
* Burst a PDF Document into Single Pages
* Uncompress and Re-Compress Page Streams
* Repair Corrupted PDF (Where Possible)

Cheers