Old 10-29-2009, 06:28 AM
Stuart Murray-Smith

Default desktop borked

Greetings list :-)

OS: Ubuntu Desktop 9.04

User tried to uninstall something, && when restarting, X starts up,
but no desktop.

I've diff'ed xorg.conf with the backup, no changes there.

One slight clue is that networking also borked.

Any insight highly appreciated as always

Stu@

Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Aart Koelewijn

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:28:02 +0200, Stuart Murray-Smith wrote:

> Greetings list :-)
>
> OS: Ubuntu Desktop 9.04
>
> User tried to uninstall something, && when restarting, X starts up, but
> no desktop.
>
> I've diff'ed xorg.conf with the backup, no changes there.
>
> One slight clue is that networking also borked.
>
> Any insight highly appreciated as always
>
> Stu@

Because of dependency's, when you uninstall something many other things
might uninstall too. There is a history in /var/log/apt/term.log and
maybe in other places too. Try to reinstall some of the things that got
uninstalled.

Aart

Old 10-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Andrew Farris

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 11:00 +0000, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:28:02 +0200, Stuart Murray-Smith wrote:
[snip]
> > User tried to uninstall something, && when restarting, X starts up, but
> > no desktop.
[snip]
> Because of dependency's, when you uninstall something many other things
> might uninstall too. There is a history in /var/log/apt/term.log and
> maybe in other places too. Try to reinstall some of the things that got
> uninstalled.

Another thing you could try, is switching to a TTY terminal (or starting
in recovery mode), trying to reinstall the ubuntu-desktop package
(i.e. run "sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop").

This seems to be a common package to get pulled out when removing
something else, since its often listed as a dependancy. it's actually
just a meta-package that is supposed to pull in a bunch of other needed
packages, so I believe reinstalling that package would automatically get
any other essential packages that got accidentally removed.

hope that helps

--
Andrew

Old 11-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Stuart Murray-Smith

>> > User tried to uninstall something, && when restarting, X starts up, but
>> > no desktop.

>> Because of dependency's, when you uninstall something many other things
>> might uninstall too. There is a history in /var/log/apt/term.log and
>> maybe in other places too. Try to reinstall some of the things that got
>> uninstalled.

> Another thing you could try, is switching to a TTY terminal (or starting
> in recovery mode), trying to reinstall the ubuntu-desktop package
> * *(i.e. run "sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop").
>
> This seems to be a common package to get pulled out when removing
> something else, since its often listed as a dependency. it's actually
> just a meta-package that is supposed to pull in a bunch of other needed
> packages, so I believe reinstalling that package would automatically get
> any other essential packages that got accidentally removed.

Thanks for your help guys

Networking was also borked, && there were way too many .debs listed in
/var/log/apt/term.log to rebuild manually.

Serendipitously Karmic was released that same day, so we upgraded with
a fresh install

Keep strong!

Stu@