FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-28-2009, 09:33 PM
R K Belew
 
Default Synaptic repositories / PPA problem? (3)

hi,

(this is on Intrepid/8.10 Ubuntu)

i'm trying to install the 3.1 OpenOffice, and started by going thru
the steps suggested at
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-OpenOffice-org-3-1-on-Ubuntu-9-04-111105.shtml

but it didn't work and so i've been tracking thru various command line,
apt-based steps. i am stumped by two things:

#1 while i think i've successfull received the PPA key, gpg won't let me
export it:

> rik@monk:~$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 247D1CFF
> Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 247D1CFF
> gpg: requesting key 247D1CFF from hkp server pgp.mit.edu
> gpg: key 247D1CFF: "Launchpad PPA for OpenOffice.org Scribblers" 3 new signatures
> gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
> gpg: Total number processed: 1
> gpg: new signatures: 3
> rik@monk:~$ gpg --export --armor 247d1cff
> gpg: WARNING: nothing exported

still, Synaptic sees this entry in list of authentications.

#2 (but perhaps because of this?), while Synaptic lets me add the
repository line:

> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main

after refreshing it is still not added to my list of "Origin" sources.
(while i'm telling this in the reverse order, i did intially
add the repository BEFORE dealing with the authentication.

Related questions:

* when i Reload Synaptic, i think i see a a "Fail" message (in the Show
Details pane), but it flashes by too quickly to know just what it's
about. i've looked in Synaptic's history, and als found
/var/logs/apt/term.log, but neither show anything. where are these
error messages logged?

* what is the difference between files listed in
/etc/apt/sources.list and
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/ppa.list
must all PPA-secure sources be in ppa.list?

thanks for any suggestions.

rik





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-29-2009, 05:19 AM
David Curtis
 
Default Synaptic repositories / PPA problem? (3)

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:33:59 -0700
R K Belew <rik@cogsci.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> hi,

Hello,


> (this is on Intrepid/8.10 Ubuntu)

The ppa maintainer seems to not be supported Intrepid any more, I cannot
find Intrepid packages in this ppa.

> i'm trying to install the 3.1 OpenOffice, and started by going thru
> the steps suggested at
> http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-OpenOffice-org-3-1-on-Ubuntu-9-04-111105.shtml
>
> but it didn't work and so i've been tracking thru various command
> line, apt-based steps. i am stumped by two things:
>
> #1 while i think i've successfull received the PPA key, gpg won't let
> me export it:
>
> > rik@monk:~$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys
> > 247D1CFF Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options
> > --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg
> > --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg
> > --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 247D1CFF gpg: requesting key
> > 247D1CFF from hkp server pgp.mit.edu gpg: key 247D1CFF: "Launchpad
> > PPA for OpenOffice.org Scribblers" 3 new signatures gpg: no
> > ultimately trusted keys found gpg: Total number processed: 1
> > gpg: new signatures: 3 rik@monk:~$ gpg --export --armor
> > 247d1cff gpg: WARNING: nothing exported

Not sure why you are using pgp.mit.edu as the keyserver, I would have
used:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 247D1CFF


> still, Synaptic sees this entry in list of authentications.
>
> #2 (but perhaps because of this?), while Synaptic lets me add the
> repository line:
>
> > deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu intrepid
> > main

Again, I see no Interpid entry in this ppa.

> after refreshing it is still not added to my list of "Origin" sources.
> (while i'm telling this in the reverse order, i did intially
> add the repository BEFORE dealing with the authentication.

The order does not matter just as long as you've done both before
updating the source database (apt-get update).

> Related questions:
>
> * when i Reload Synaptic, i think i see a a "Fail" message (in the
> Show Details pane), but it flashes by too quickly to know just what
> it's about. i've looked in Synaptic's history, and als found
> /var/logs/apt/term.log, but neither show anything. where are these
> error messages logged?

Not sure if they are logged anywhere. A 'sudo apt-get update' in the
terminal will show you the errors. If you don't understand them, post
them here.

> * what is the difference between files listed in
> /etc/apt/sources.list and
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ppa.list
> must all PPA-secure sources be in ppa.list?

IIRC there should be no difference where a ppa is added. The
file /etc/apt/sources.list and the files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
are all parsed by apt-get.


> thanks for any suggestions.

Take another look at the ppa you're trying to get intrepid packages
from, I could be wrong, but I think the information you're getting is
out of date.

Dave

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-29-2009, 01:34 PM
NoOp
 
Default Synaptic repositories / PPA problem? (3)

On 10/28/2009 11:19 PM, David Curtis wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:33:59 -0700
> R K Belew <rik@cogsci.ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
>> hi,
>
> Hello,
>
>
>> (this is on Intrepid/8.10 Ubuntu)
>
> The ppa maintainer seems to not be supported Intrepid any more, I cannot
> find Intrepid packages in this ppa.
>
>> i'm trying to install the 3.1 OpenOffice, and started by going thru
>> the steps suggested at
>> http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-OpenOffice-org-3-1-on-Ubuntu-9-04-111105.shtml
>>
>> but it didn't work and so i've been tracking thru various command
>> line, apt-based steps. i am stumped by two things:
>>
>> #1 while i think i've successfull received the PPA key, gpg won't let
>> me export it:
>>
>> > rik@monk:~$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys
>> > 247D1CFF Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options
>> > --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg
>> > --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg
>> > --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 247D1CFF gpg: requesting key
>> > 247D1CFF from hkp server pgp.mit.edu gpg: key 247D1CFF: "Launchpad
>> > PPA for OpenOffice.org Scribblers" 3 new signatures gpg: no
>> > ultimately trusted keys found gpg: Total number processed: 1
>> > gpg: new signatures: 3 rik@monk:~$ gpg --export --armor
>> > 247d1cff gpg: WARNING: nothing exported
>
> Not sure why you are using pgp.mit.edu as the keyserver, I would have
> used:
>
> sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 247D1CFF
>
>
>> still, Synaptic sees this entry in list of authentications.
>>
>> #2 (but perhaps because of this?), while Synaptic lets me add the
>> repository line:
>>
>> > deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu intrepid
>> > main
>
> Again, I see no Interpid entry in this ppa.
...

Ubuntu need to buy Chris Cheney a new computer :-)
https://launchpad.net/~openoffice-pkgs/+archive/ppa
<quote>
I am currently very limited on time so don't have time to support more
than the current Ubuntu release. I will be getting a new computer soon
and if it speeds up the build sufficiently I might be able to build for
more releases again at that time.
</quote>

R K can either upgrade to Jaunty, try the jaunty build:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
or install the official standard OOo:
http://download.openoffice.org/index.html
http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#en-US


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:12 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org