Old 10-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Kipton Moravec

Default Backup a Video DVD

I have been trying all day to back up a DVD on my Ubuntu 8.10 system.

What I would like is a copy of the DVD that appears the same when I put
it in the DVD player as the original.

I tarted looking at Brasero and Gnome Baker but they do not do Video DVD
only Data DVD.

dvd:Rip works but I do not know what to do with the .rip file on my hard
drive.

k9copy says it can not open the DVD, even though dvd:Rip had no
problems.

Now I am playing with DVD Movie Backup on the Ubuntu 9.10 system. It
started and showed progress, and when it stopped 15 minutes later, it
had created a .ISO file that had 0 bytes in it.

So I googled: ubuntu copy dvd to dvd

Brings up dvd:Rip but
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DVD::Rip
But I still do not know what to do with the .rip file.

The page has a pointer to k9copy page
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/K9Copy

but I still can't get it to even open the DVD.

Why is this so hard? Does anyone have step by step instructions?

I have 2 DVD's that I need to backup. And I started 6 hours ago, still
have nothing.

Kip
--
Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...

"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
--Mark Twain

Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Fred Roller

Kipton Moravec wrote:
> I have been trying all day to back up a DVD on my Ubuntu 8.10 system.
>
> What I would like is a copy of the DVD that appears the same when I put
> it in the DVD player as the original.
>
> I tarted looking at Brasero and Gnome Baker but they do not do Video DVD
> only Data DVD.
>
> dvd:Rip works but I do not know what to do with the .rip file on my hard
> drive.
>
> k9copy says it can not open the DVD, even though dvd:Rip had no
> problems.
>
> Now I am playing with DVD Movie Backup on the Ubuntu 9.10 system. It
> started and showed progress, and when it stopped 15 minutes later, it
> had created a .ISO file that had 0 bytes in it.
>
> So I googled: ubuntu copy dvd to dvd
>
> Brings up dvd:Rip but
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DVD::Rip
> But I still do not know what to do with the .rip file.
>
> The page has a pointer to k9copy page
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/K9Copy
>
> but I still can't get it to even open the DVD.
>
> Why is this so hard? Does anyone have step by step instructions?
>
> I have 2 DVD's that I need to backup. And I started 6 hours ago, still
> have nothing.
>
> Kip

I use thogen ( sudo apt-get install thogen) for my own copy. I watch
the copied version and thus preserving the original DVD. This creates a
.ogv file which I watch on my computer. It is straight forward but does
not by pass all the securities out there (I can't backup some of Pixar's
films because of the 90 some odd chapters detected).

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."

Old 10-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Sarunas Burdulis

Old 10-29-2009, 10:57 AM
"Shahar Dag"

>I have been trying all day to back up a DVD on my Ubuntu 8.10 system.
>
> What I would like is a copy of the DVD that appears the same when I put
> it in the DVD player as the original.
>
> I tarted looking at Brasero and Gnome Baker but they do not do Video DVD
> only Data DVD.
>
> dvd:Rip works but I do not know what to do with the .rip file on my hard
> drive.
>
> k9copy says it can not open the DVD, even though dvd:Rip had no
> problems.
>
> Now I am playing with DVD Movie Backup on the Ubuntu 9.10 system. It
> started and showed progress, and when it stopped 15 minutes later, it
> had created a .ISO file that had 0 bytes in it.
>
> So I googled: ubuntu copy dvd to dvd
>
> Brings up dvd:Rip but
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DVD::Rip
> But I still do not know what to do with the .rip file.
>
> The page has a pointer to k9copy page
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/K9Copy
>
> but I still can't get it to even open the DVD.
>
> Why is this so hard? Does anyone have step by step instructions?
>
> I have 2 DVD's that I need to backup. And I started 6 hours ago, still
> have nothing.
>
> Kip
> --
> Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...
>
> "Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
> --Mark Twain

Video DVD are dual layer, so you must have dual layer DVD burner & media to
copy video DVD
(or you will have to reduce quality, remove sound tracks in un-wanted
languages,...)
but I can't help you on Linux
(on Windows it will be cloneDVD)

Old 10-29-2009, 11:44 AM
LAMP

[...]

I use successfully K9copy for a long time. If I want to make a DVD copy
then the content will be compressed to 4.7 GB, bu you can make the
identicall copy to HD.

There is also DVD95 coverter but I never used it.

LL

Old 10-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Kipton Moravec

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 19:33 -0400, Sarunas Burdulis wrote:

> Kipton Moravec wrote:
> > I have been trying all day to back up a DVD on my Ubuntu 8.10 system.
> >
> > What I would like is a copy of the DVD that appears the same when I put
> > it in the DVD player as the original.
> >
> > I tarted looking at Brasero and Gnome Baker but they do not do Video DVD
> > only Data DVD.
> >
> > dvd:Rip works but I do not know what to do with the .rip file on my hard
> > drive.
> >
> > k9copy says it can not open the DVD, even though dvd:Rip had no
> > problems.
> >
> > Now I am playing with DVD Movie Backup on the Ubuntu 9.10 system. It
> > started and showed progress, and when it stopped 15 minutes later, it
> > had created a .ISO file that had 0 bytes in it.
> >
> > So I googled: ubuntu copy dvd to dvd
> >
> > Brings up dvd:Rip but
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DVD::Rip
> > But I still do not know what to do with the .rip file.
> >
> > The page has a pointer to k9copy page
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/K9Copy
>
> I'm not familiar with the above, but k3b (Tools > Copy DVD) is painless.
> Or `dd if=/dev/<yourdvddrive> of=fileondisk.iso`.
>
> Sarunas

I do not know what k3b is, but the command line version looks the
simplest.

I assume I can go:
dd if=/dev/sd0 of=fileondisk.iso
then put in a blank DVD and go
dd if=fileondisk.iso of=/dev/sd0

Thanks,
Kip

Old 10-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Graham Todd

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 08:22:22 -0500
Kipton Moravec <kip@kdream.com> uttered these words:

> I do not know what k3b is, but the command line version looks the
> simplest
[snipped]

You're obviously a Gnome user 8-)

K3b is the standard CD/DVD burning tool for the KDE desktop, and k9copy
is also a KDE program.

Unless there is some encryption on the commercial DVD, k9copy is an
essential tool. It reduces by compression the total extent of DVD,
which is usually 9Gb to 5Gb, a size which will fit on most data DVDs.
K9copy saves the compressed file on your hard disk, and should then be
copiable to a data DVD by K3b. Of course, before you start you should
have libdvdcss2 installed to overide the location codes.

By doing so, you will surely break the agreement you enter into not to
copy a DVD or not show it on oil platforms, etc., and my advice to use
libdvdcss2 should be taken as advice to use it if you want K9copy to
work. I myself use Brasero and Gnomebaker (I too use Ubuntu) with
K9copy. One last tool I'd recommend (and this converts between various
video and audio formats is ffmpeg. The documentation for it is at:

http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-doc.html

But you might be better off burning a live-cd of dyne:bolic just for
video and DVD creation/copying:

http://dynebolic.org/

--
Graham Todd