Old 10-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Rune Svendsen

Default Sporadic freezes and frustration

Just a thought here. A friend's computer with Ubuntu installed once
locked up in a similar manner you describe. I was unable to fix it and I
had to install Windows XP on the machine.
After installing XP I found out that an NTFS partition on the computer's
hard drive had been corrupted somehow. The Windows disk check would just
hang while checking the drive. I think somehow a loop had been created
on the partition making whatever tried to access it get stuck in this
loop (CHKDSK did anyway, perhaps ntfs-3g did as well).
So, to find out whether this indeed stems from a broken NTFS partition,
I'd do the following:

1. If you don't even have an NTFS partition, ignore everything
I've said

2. Make sure no NTFS partitions at all are mounted automatically
after logging in, to you make sure it's not the ntfs-3g driver
hanging up the system.

I have no idea if this could be the cause of the problem, but I thought
that this might be possible after finding out about this on my friend's
computer, but I unfortunately never got the chance to test it out.

Regards,
Rune

Old 10-28-2009, 09:19 PM
"Anthony P."

Hi Rune,

Thanks for the input. Nope, no NTFS partition here. It's a complete Ubuntu system with Windows virtualized.

Anthony