Old 10-28-2009, 12:51 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default problem with recovery mode in 9.10

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> [...]

I tried 9.10 on a fully updated Beta version and using the
recovery boot it comes up with a selection board and I
selected the last one and it did come up as a root login.

So you might have something else causing a problem.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 10-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> >> every keystroke is treated as though I had hit
> Enter
> >> afterward, so I'm
> >> unable to enter the root password.* ctrl-D
> reacts the
> >> same way, so I
> >> can't use recovery mode at all.
> >>
> >> Anybody else seen this/have a workaround?
> >>
> > Yes, something is very wrong in Karmic recovery
> mode.* It is useless.
> > In my case, I have two Karmics installed on separate
> partitions, the last one was a recent nightly. Recovery mode
> works on neither. I can't even scroll down the fixit menu on
> boot up.* The screen corrupts with error messages when
> I try to scroll down the list and it then is frozen. I can
> scroll maybe one item before this happens or hit the "end"
> key and the next move the screen corruption occurs.* I
> don't know if a bug has been filed or not as I haven't
> googled yet but I'm sure ready to add my .02.* Not
> being able to use recovery mode is a critical bug, IMHO.
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
> >

> *** I tried 9.10 on a fully updated Beta
> version and using the
> recovery boot it comes up with a selection board and I
> selected the last one and it did come up as a root login.
>
> *** So you might have something else causing
> a problem.
>
> 73 Karl

Karl, are you using the 64 bit Karmic as I and the OP are using?
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 10-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Glenn Holmer

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 07:04 -0700, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > I tried 9.10 on a fully updated Beta
> > version and using the
> > recovery boot it comes up with a selection board and I
> > selected the last one and it did come up as a root login.

Yes, but the question was whether you can type at the prompt once the
root login comes up.

> Karl, are you using the 64 bit Karmic as I and the OP are using?

Actually, I was using 32-bit. I notice that after installing the final
release... there's no prompt at all! It just drops me to a root prompt
without a login! I realize that all bets are off if someone has
physical access to the machine, but isn't this a bit extreme?

--
"After the vintage season came the aftermath - and Cenbe."
Glenn Holmer (Q-Link: ShadowM) http://www.lyonlabs.org

Old 10-31-2009, 01:06 PM
Glenn Holmer

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 08:44 -0500, Glenn Holmer wrote:
> I notice that after installing the final
> release... there's no prompt at all! It just drops me to a root prompt
> without a login! I realize that all bets are off if someone has
> physical access to the machine, but isn't this a bit extreme?

Uh, make that "there's no *login* prompt at all"...