Old 10-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Prabhat Tyagi

Default Assign a Drive Letter to a Folder

What any body know how to map a network folder in ubuntu like windows map as a drive
--

Thanks & Regards *.................. * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Prabhat Tyagi (Software Engineer) * * * * * * * * * * *

Old 10-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Fred Roller

Prabhat Tyagi wrote:

> What any body know how to map a network folder in ubuntu like windows
> map as a drive
> --
>

> Thanks & Regards ..................
> Prabhat Tyagi (Software Engineer)

Places->connect to server

This gives you several options for how. At the bottom you add a
bookmark for easy access.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."

Old 10-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Rafa

What any body know how to map a network folder in ubuntu like windows map as a drive
--

You could also create a symbolic link for it (ln -s remote_folder local_folder) or simply dragging the folder or file with the alt key pressed should show a contextual menu with a "link here" option.

Regards

Rafa

Old 10-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Loïc Grenié

2009/10/28 Rafa <r4f1t4@gmail.com>:
> 2009/10/28 Prabhat Tyagi <prabhattyagi83@gmail.com>
>>
>> What any body know how to map a network folder in ubuntu like windows map
>> as a drive

> You could also create a symbolic link for it (ln -s remote_folder
> local_folder)

This won't work. You can't access network with a symbolic link.
You can access the files on an already mounted remote file system,
but not directly the remote file system.

> or simply dragging the folder or file with the alt key pressed
> should show a contextual menu with a "link here" option.

As long as you do not do a symbolic link but a ".desktop" file, it will
(should) work.

Greetings,

Loïc

Old 10-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Rashkae

Prabhat Tyagi wrote:
> What any body know how to map a network folder in ubuntu like windows map as
> a drive

Linux does not have a concept anything like drive letters, so no.

But you haven't stated what you're trying to achieve. Odds are, what
you want to do is to mount a network share. Here's a quick and dirty
primer, but google will be your friend, (or return with more info)

Assuming you are trying to mount a CIFS share (Windows file sharing, or
Samba.) First you'll have install the smbfs package

sudo mkdir /mnt/test

sudo mount -t cifs //servername/sharename /mnt/test -o
username=winusername uid=localUsername

It's also possible to put the relevant information in your fstab file
for the network mount to happen at boot. I've also been known to put
the relevant mount commands in the rc.local file

Old 10-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Rafa

You are right, I was assuming that he needed another way of accessing an
already mounted resource from another path.

Regards.

Rafa