Old 10-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Dotan Cohen

Default 2 computers one usrobotics modem

> *Is it possible for either computer to go on line if both are connected
> to the same modem.

That's what routers do. Plug the WAN port of the router into the
modem, and the two computers on the LAN side.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 10-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Dotan Cohen

> That's a new world to me Dolan, I just have two separate computers and
> no existing router, I guess I have to learn a little bit more about this
> and go out and hunt for a router. *Thanks, *John

If one of the machines has two NICs then you could configure one to
pass through to the other. Though, to be honest, you are best off with
a router. That is exactly what they were invented for.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 10-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Rashkae

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> That's a new world to me Dolan, I just have two separate computers and
>> no existing router, I guess I have to learn a little bit more about this
>> and go out and hunt for a router. Thanks, John
>>

> If one of the machines has two NICs then you could configure one to
> pass through to the other. Though, to be honest, you are best off with
> a router. That is exactly what they were invented for.

I don't understand how a router could help... it's been.. probably 8
years since I law saw a router with dial-up modem functionality.

If someone wants to share internet with a dial-up modem, they have to
configure dial-up networking (wvdial still used for this?) then use
iptables to masquerade the internet on the NIC (only one NIC needed)

Old 10-28-2009, 03:35 PM
John Heinen

Old 10-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Dotan Cohen

> I don't understand how a router could help... it's been.. probably 8
> years since I law saw a router with dial-up modem functionality.

I saw no mention of dial. Modems are used for cable and adsl connections too.

> If someone wants to share internet with a dial-up modem, they have to
> configure dial-up networking (wvdial still used for this?) then use
> iptables to masquerade the internet on the NIC (only one NIC needed)

Still need two NICs: one in each box

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 10-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Dotan Cohen

> And could you tell me what kind of a router for 2 computers, printer and
> dial/up I should buy, I really don't know anything about this, still
> learning. John

Are you in fact on dial-up?

I think that Rashkae was referring to modem/router combination boxes.
A regular router should connect to your existing modem (dialup or
otherwise). If you need one with a print server, I am using a D-Link
320 with a USB print server and I am very happy with it.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 10-28-2009, 08:55 PM
John Heinen

Old 10-29-2009, 12:32 AM
Paul Tader

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> That's a new world to me Dolan, I just have two separate computers and
>> no existing router, I guess I have to learn a little bit more about this
>> and go out and hunt for a router. Thanks, John
>>

> If one of the machines has two NICs then you could configure one to
> pass through to the other. Though, to be honest, you are best off with
> a router. That is exactly what they were invented for.

Wonder if this would work...

* System1 dials up and has a NIC connected to the LAN (or a crossover
cable to System2)

* run: " echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward "
on the System1 to forward all traffic between the NIC and modem.

* Set the default gateway on System2 to the NIC's ip address on System1.

* surf away!

I'm probably missing something. Hmm, gotta try this myself... now,
where is that modem...

-ptader

Old 10-29-2009, 02:35 AM
Rashkae

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> And could you tell me what kind of a router for 2 computers, printer and
>> dial/up I should buy, I really don't know anything about this, still
>> learning. John
>>

> Are you in fact on dial-up?
>
> I think that Rashkae was referring to modem/router combination boxes.
> A regular router should connect to your existing modem (dialup or
> otherwise). If you need one with a print server, I am using a D-Link
> 320 with a USB print server and I am very happy with it.

There were router/modem combinations (I think I still have a 3-com
somewhere).. There were also routers with serial ports and a built in
dial-up stack.... these don't really exist on the market, however, and
I'm not aware of any current so called router (I still really hate the
things) that works with dial-up,, which leaves you pretty much on you own.

I believe, however, if I remember correctly, the Firestarter package
lets you share an internet connection via it's gui, so that will
probably be the easiest way to go once you have Internet working. (I
don't know the official way to get dial-up working in Ubuntu, sorry.)
that will require you manually connect the computer to the internet for
the other pc to work, but will probably be the easiest way to go without
doing anything too complicated for set-up.

Of course, you still need to get both pc's connected to each other,
which mean lan port in each pc, and either a hub or a cross-over cable
between them. (A cross over cable lets you connect two pc's together
directly without a hub, but only 2). once the pc's are connected, you
have to give them both a static ip address. You should be able to do
this from the Network manager gui. Make one pc 192.168.0.1
(traditionally, you would do this to the one with the modem, but that's
not strictly required.) and the other pc 192.168.0.2. If don't
correctly you should be able to ping one pc from the other. In the
console of the first computer, type ping 192.168.0.2, and you should see
replies coming back.

After internet is working on PC#1, and you have enabled internet sharing
(and firewall) with firestarter, then find out what your ISP DNS numbers
are.) From a console, type cat /etc/resolv.conf

Those DNS numbers need to be added to the network configuration of PC
number 2, as well as making the IP address of the PC with the modem the
default gateway.

I'm sorry if these instructions are vague... but the exact gui
configuration would depend on the version of Ubuntu, and I don't really
have any machines I could step through to write a tutorial. Please let
the list know if you have any difficulty with a part, and as many
details as you can spare.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:40 AM
Rashkae

Paul Tader wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> That's a new world to me Dolan, I just have two separate computers and
>>> no existing router, I guess I have to learn a little bit more about this
>>> and go out and hunt for a router. Thanks, John
>>>
>> If one of the machines has two NICs then you could configure one to
>> pass through to the other. Though, to be honest, you are best off with
>> a router. That is exactly what they were invented for.
>>

> Wonder if this would work...
>
> * System1 dials up and has a NIC connected to the LAN (or a crossover
> cable to System2)
>
> * run: " echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward "
> on the System1 to forward all traffic between the NIC and modem.
>
> * Set the default gateway on System2 to the NIC's ip address on System1.
>
> * surf away!
>

> I'm probably missing something. Hmm, gotta try this myself... now,
> where is that modem...
>

> -ptader

You're missing the nat.

The PC's inside a network will have a non-routable IP address (for
example, 192.168.0.x). when pc number 2 sends a request over the
internet, the receiving server will not be able to send any replies to
that address.

You work around this with an iptables entry that looks something like this:

That way, any packets that are being sent out of eth0 will have their
originating IP address re-written to be the same as eth0, and when
return packets are sent on that connection, they are in turn re-written
so they get sent back to the real originating computer.