Old 10-28-2009, 08:51 AM
"Anthony P."

Default More questions about PC freeze

So earlier today I posted a message about how my Acer 5100 laptop freezes every now and then. Sometimes, it's right at boot time as the startup sound is playing, other times, it's randomly like when I click on a link in Firefox or something like that.

I did a bit of research and it seems to either be Firefox or my graphics card. Obviously, since Firefox isn't running on system boot, the logical next assumption would be my graphics card which is a built in Radeon X1100.

I went to ATI's site and it doesn't seem like they offer a Linux driver for this card but I was told by a friend that I could install envyng and it would grab the right driver. It didn't and I ended up hosing my system. So I uninstalled the driver from the root prompt and the system is working again.

Obviously, I can't work on a system that simply freezes out of nowhere. I'm losing work left and right and I need to get this resolved. Can anyone point me in the right direction to resolve this?

Thank You,
Anthony Papillion

Old 10-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Derek Broughton

Anthony P. wrote:

> So earlier today I posted a message about how my Acer 5100 laptop freezes

Please don't "reply" to random messages. Find the message you sent earlier
today, and reply to that, instead.
--
derek

Old 10-28-2009, 07:53 PM
"Anthony P."

>Please don't "reply" to random messages. Find the message you sent earlier

>today, and reply to that, instead.

My apologies Derek. I thought that deleting the original text and changing the subject would, in effect, create a new message. Thank you for pointing out that it didn't.

Any idea what might be going on with my system though?

Thanks!
Anthony