Old 10-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Detlef Lechner

Default Karmic GNOME plays an alert sound file

Markus Schönhaber wrote:

> instead of making noise with the PC squeaker, the Gnome release coming
> with Karmic is, at last, able to play a sound file as alert sound /
> terminal bell (KDE can do this since 1754 IIRC).

Can you provide more details? I am having a related problem since Ubuntu
6.06 on one machine which has not been solved ever since. (I reported
it to Launchpad too.)

> But on my machine the terminal bell is audible only when compiz is
> turned off.

I myself am not interested in Compiz and turn it off.

Regards,

Detlef

Old 10-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Markus Schönhaber

Detlef Lechner:

> Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>
>> instead of making noise with the PC squeaker, the Gnome release coming
>> with Karmic is, at last, able to play a sound file as alert sound /
>> terminal bell (KDE can do this since 1754 IIRC).
>
> Can you provide more details? I am having a related problem since Ubuntu
> 6.06 on one machine which has not been solved ever since. (I reported
> it to Launchpad too.)

What details are you looking for?
The terminal bell is active (and working!) on Karmic by default
(provided compiz is off). One can change the settings through System /
Settings / Sound.

--
Regards
mks

Old 10-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Detlef Lechner

Heello Markus,

Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> One can change the settings through System /
> Settings / Sound.

Ok, understood.
Thank you very much.

Detlef