FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Detlef Lechner
 
Default Where did I set that most displays my man pages?

Hi,

Where did I set in Ubuntu 8.04.3 that the pager "most" will display my
man pages?
I forgot in what file I added a line of text with the string "most".
I run '~$ rgrep 'PAGER=' /home/detlef/ 2>/dev/null' but could not find
'most' in the output.
~/.profile does not include it.
~(.bashrc does not include it either.

Regards,
Detlef Lechner



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-28-2009, 07:43 AM
James Michael Fultz
 
Default Where did I set that most displays my man pages?

* Detlef Lechner <Detlef.Lechner@gmx.net> [2009-10-28 08:26 +0100]:
> Where did I set in Ubuntu 8.04.3 that the pager "most" will display my
> man pages?

Unless overridden by $MANPAGER or $PAGER, I think that man on Ubuntu and
Debian defaults to using '/usr/bin/pager' which is a symlink managed by
the alternatives system. Try the following:

$ update-alternatives --display pager

And if you wish to change it:

$ sudo update-alternatives --config pager

See update-alternatives(8) for more details.

> I forgot in what file I added a line of text with the string "most".
> I run '~$ rgrep 'PAGER=' /home/detlef/ 2>/dev/null' but could not find
> 'most' in the output.
> ~/.profile does not include it.
> ~(.bashrc does not include it either.

I'm thinking it's the alternatives system causing most to be your
default pager but be sure whether $PAGER is even set. Try the following
from a terminal or console:

$ echo $PAGER

Also $MANPAGER takes precedent over $PAGER if set.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-28-2009, 07:49 AM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Where did I set that most displays my man pages?

Detlef Lechner wrote:
> Where did I set in Ubuntu 8.04.3 that the pager "most" will display
> my man pages?
> I forgot in what file I added a line of text with the string "most".
> I run '~$ rgrep 'PAGER=' /home/detlef/ 2>/dev/null' but could not
> find 'most' in the output.

Maybe you should search for the term "most" instead. You might have an
alias like this:

alias man='man -P most'

Or perhaps you are looking in the wrong location - it might be set
somewhere in "/etc".


Nils


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Detlef Lechner
 
Default Where did I set that most displays my man pages?

James Michael Fultz wrote:
>
> Unless overridden by $MANPAGER or $PAGER, I think that man on Ubuntu and
> Debian defaults to using '/usr/bin/pager' which is a symlink managed by
> the alternatives system.

This was a very good hint.
/usr/bin/pager is a symlink to /etc/alternatives/pager.
/etc/alternatives /pager was a symlink to /bin/less.
I changed that to:
/etc/alternatives/pager is a symlink to /usr/bin/most.

Thank you very much for your help.

Detlef

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Detlef Lechner
 
Default Where did I set that most displays my man pages?

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Detlef Lechner wrote:
>> Where did I set in Ubuntu 8.04.3 that the pager "most" will display
>> my man pages?
>> I forgot in what file I added a line of text with the string "most".
>> I run '~$ rgrep 'PAGER=' /home/detlef/ 2>/dev/null' but could not
>> find 'most' in the output.
>
> Maybe you should search for the term "most" instead.

'~$ rgrep 'most' /home/detlef/ 2>/dev/null' produces a lot of rubbish.

> You might have an alias like this:
>
> alias man='man -P most'

No, I don't.

> Or perhaps you are looking in the wrong location - it might be set
> somewhere in "/etc".

Yes, this idea ultimately would have let me to an answer. But I tried
James' suggestions first and was successful. -- Thank you.

Detlef

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default Where did I set that most displays my man pages?

Detlef Lechner wrote:

> James Michael Fultz wrote:
>>
>> Unless overridden by $MANPAGER or $PAGER, I think that man on Ubuntu and
>> Debian defaults to using '/usr/bin/pager' which is a symlink managed by
>> the alternatives system.
>
> This was a very good hint.
> /usr/bin/pager is a symlink to /etc/alternatives/pager.
> /etc/alternatives /pager was a symlink to /bin/less.
> I changed that to:
> /etc/alternatives/pager is a symlink to /usr/bin/most.

You missed the point that it is managed by "alternatives". You really
shouldn't manually change these symlinks (I'm fairly certain future updates
will change them back).
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Detlef Lechner
 
Default Where did I set that most displays my man pages?

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Detlef Lechner wrote:
>
>> James Michael Fultz wrote:
>>> Unless overridden by $MANPAGER or $PAGER, I think that man on Ubuntu and
>>> Debian defaults to using '/usr/bin/pager' which is a symlink managed by
>>> the alternatives system.

> You missed the point that it is managed by "alternatives".

Unfortunately, yes.

> You really
> shouldn't manually change these symlinks (I'm fairly certain future updates
> will change them back).

I have corrected that according to procedure outlined by James Michael
Fultz.

Thank you very much indeed.

Detlef


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:39 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org