Old 10-28-2009, 04:53 AM
Patton Echols

Default Ubuntu - Pendrive - VM or Boot option

On 10/26/2009 11:14 PM, Patton Echols wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I have been reading about ubuntu on a pendrive:
>
> Here:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent
> and here:
> http://rudd-o.com/new-projects/portablelinux
>
> It all looks rather "doable".
> There are also some threads about running a pendrive linux under a
> running windows here:
>
> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/category/virtual-machine/
>
> But it appears that you have to choose your boot method when you
> create the pendrive. What I am working on is a project that would be
> useful to be able to do both - either boot from the drive, or run in
> a VP under Win XP, or Run in a VM under linux. The choice would be
> made at the time. Example: You're at home and want to run this
> install, simply reboot the machine . . . Example 2: You're at work and
> need to run under WinXP because there are others accessing resources
> on your machine even though it is lunchtime. Example 3. You're back
> home again, and need something off of the pendrive, but don't want to
> restart the linux box because it is also your spouse's printer server
> . . .
>
> Anyone know of a "Duh, why couldn't he find that" website that
> addresses this? Any other comments?
>
> Thanks
> --P

No one?

Old 10-28-2009, 06:14 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

Patton Echols wrote:
> On 10/26/2009 11:14 PM, Patton Echols wrote:
>> Greetings:
>>
>> I have been reading about ubuntu on a pendrive:
>>
>> Here:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent
>> and here:
>> http://rudd-o.com/new-projects/portablelinux
>>
>> It all looks rather "doable".
>> There are also some threads about running a pendrive linux under a
>> running windows here:
>>
>> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/category/virtual-machine/
>>
>> But it appears that you have to choose your boot method when you
>> create the pendrive. What I am working on is a project that would be
>> useful to be able to do both - either boot from the drive, or run in
>> a VP under Win XP, or Run in a VM under linux. The choice would be
>> made at the time. Example: You're at home and want to run this
>> install, simply reboot the machine . . . Example 2: You're at work and
>> need to run under WinXP because there are others accessing resources
>> on your machine even though it is lunchtime. Example 3. You're back
>> home again, and need something off of the pendrive, but don't want to
>> restart the linux box because it is also your spouse's printer server
>> . . .
>>
>> Anyone know of a "Duh, why couldn't he find that" website that
>> addresses this? Any other comments?
>>
>> Thanks
>> --P
>>
> No one?

If you go to System > Administration > Create a USB startup disk
you can make a bootable USB-stick from a downloaded .iso version.
The rest is up to the system where you want to install Ubuntu.
Many systems require you to indicate in the BIOS that an USB external
disk is the boot device.
I don't know nothing of Windows.
Joep