-   -   .bashrc question (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/270448-bashrc-question.html)

David Armour 10-28-2009 03:46 AM

.bashrc question

Bash confusion reigns!

I'm getting the following two lines at the top of the terminal display:

bash: /home/dave3/.bashrc: line 72: unexpected EOF while looking for
matching `"'
bash: /home/dave3/.bashrc: line 91: syntax error: unexpected end of file

The referenced portions of /home/dave3/.bashrc:

70 # enable color support of ls and also add handy aliases
71 if [ "$TERM" != "dumb" ]; then
72 eval "`dircolors -b`" ## missing '"'??
73 alias ls='ls --color=auto'
74 #alias dir='ls --color=auto --format=vertical'
75 #alias vdir='ls --color=auto --format=long'
76 fi
77
78 # some more ls aliases
79 #alias ll='ls -l'
80 #alias la='ls -A'
81 #alias l='ls -CF'
82
83 # enable programmable completion features (you don't need to enable
84 # this, if it's already enabled in /etc/bash.bashrc and /etc/profile
85 # sources /etc/bash.bashrc).
86 if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
87 . /etc/bash_completion
88 fi
89
90

I can't see a missing `"' at line 72, nor any obvious reason why bash
would find the end of the .bashrc file at line 90 'unexpected' in any way.
Can anybody? Am I missing something obvious? (Wouldn't be the first time...)

TIA.

Karl Auer 10-28-2009 04:32 AM

.bashrc question

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 04:46 +0000, David Armour wrote:
> bash: /home/dave3/.bashrc: line 72: unexpected EOF while looking for
> [...]
>
> 72 eval "`dircolors -b`" ## missing '"'??
> [...]
> I can't see a missing `"' at line 72, nor any obvious reason why bash
> would find the end of the .bashrc file at line 90 'unexpected' in any way.
> Can anybody? Am I missing something obvious? (Wouldn't be the first time...)

I'm guessing that the dircolors program is returning something that
contains either a double or single quote, or possibly a newline (which
would orphan the starting double quote).

Regards, K.

Ian Coetzee 10-28-2009 04:56 AM

.bashrc question

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 6:46 AM, David Armour <d.f.armour@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Bash confusion reigns!
>
> I'm getting the following two lines at the top of the terminal display:
>
> bash: /home/dave3/.bashrc: line 72: unexpected EOF while looking for
> matching `"'
> bash: /home/dave3/.bashrc: line 91: syntax error: unexpected end of file
>
> The referenced portions of /home/dave3/.bashrc:
>
> ************************************************** *******
> 70 *# enable color support of ls and also add handy aliases
> 71 *if [ "$TERM" != "dumb" ]; then
> 72 * * *eval "`dircolors -b`" * * * * * * * * * ## missing '"'??
> 73 * * *alias ls='ls --color=auto'
> 74 * * *#alias dir='ls --color=auto --format=vertical'
> 75 * * *#alias vdir='ls --color=auto --format=long'
> 76 *fi
> 77
> 78 *# some more ls aliases
> 79 *#alias ll='ls -l'
> 80 *#alias la='ls -A'
> 81 *#alias l='ls -CF'
> 82
> 83 *# enable programmable completion features (you don't need to enable
> 84 *# this, if it's already enabled in /etc/bash.bashrc and /etc/profile
> 85 *# sources /etc/bash.bashrc).
> 86 *if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
> 87 * * *. /etc/bash_completion
> 88 *fi
> 89
> 90
> ************************************************** *******
>
> I can't see a missing `"' at line 72, nor any obvious reason why bash
> would find the end of the .bashrc file at line 90 'unexpected' in any way.
> Can anybody? Am I missing something obvious? (Wouldn't be the first time...)
>
> TIA.

David

it doesnt state that the missing '"' is on line 72, its merely says
that that is where it stopped looking for it. The problem is on a
previous line, you would have to go through your .bashrc file and
match all the '"'s to find the oddball out.

I usually print the file for ease of reading.

Another possibility is to open the file in vim ( it usually syntax
highlight it ) then you can quickly see where it goes wrong.

Regards

David Armour 10-28-2009 10:42 PM

.bashrc question

> > On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 6:46 AM, David Armour <d.f.armour <at> shaw.ca>
> > wrote:
> > I'm getting the following two lines at the top of the terminal display:
<snip>
> > The referenced portions of /home/dave3/.bashrc:

> > 70 *# enable color support of ls and also add handy aliases
<snip>
> > 90

> it doesnt state that the missing '"' is on line 72, its merely says
> that that is where it stopped looking for it. The problem is on a
> previous line, you would have to go through your .bashrc file and
> match all the '"'s to find the oddball out.

Thank you [and Karl Auer] for your replies. I had gone through the file line by
line and looked for any obvious missing '"' marks, but your message encourages
me to have another look & bring my magnifying glass.

Thanks also for the vim recommendation. I was using Diffuse to compare the
.bashrc file from a second machine to see if there were any glaring errors, but
Diffuse seemed a bit like shooting field mice with a .45. I didn't know vim
could do that, but it makes sense, now that you've mentioned it.

> I usually print the file for ease of reading.

Heh. That's also a bit of a tender point, at the moment. I've been having cups
issues since upgrading a few weeks back, and my already infamous printing
kludges have become almost epic. Don't mention the war!

James Michael Fultz 10-28-2009 11:28 PM

.bashrc question

* David Armour <d.f.armour@shaw.ca> [2009-10-28 23:42 +0000]:
> Thanks also for the vim recommendation. I was using Diffuse to compare
> the .bashrc file from a second machine to see if there were any
> glaring errors, but Diffuse seemed a bit like shooting field mice with
> a .45. I didn't know vim could do that, but it makes sense, now that
> you've mentioned it.

I'm a Vim user myself, so I have no problems recommending it. Since
I realize that Vim is not to everyone's tastes, it is worth a note that
gedit can highlight syntax as well. If not already active, it can be
enabled via the menu View > Highlight Mode.