Old 10-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Daniel Dalton

Default laptop locked

Hi,

When I log into my laptop, I see there is a lock symbol on the battery,
and the mouse pad and sound do not work... Does anyone know how to fix
this? It's possible I bumpt something under the system when moving it,
but does anyone know why there would be a lock symbol on the battery and
no sound/mouse? It's a toshiba laptop.

Thanks for any help,

Dan.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:17 AM
Tab Gilbert

When I log into my laptop, I see there is a lock symbol on the battery,

and the mouse pad and sound do not work... Does anyone know how to fix

this? It's possible I bumpt something under the system when moving it,

but does anyone know why there would be a lock symbol on the battery and

no sound/mouse? It's a toshiba laptop.

Thanks for any help,

Hey-

I have no clue as to what to suggest.* However, there are some very knowledgeable people here but they generally like some specific information before they can provide assistance.

What version of Ubuntu?* Is it up to date?

What laptop model?

Was everything working and then just stopped?* Detailed information is needed in order to provide possible solutions.* Has the sound been working?* Is it plugged in or operating off the battery?* etc.

So, the more information you can provide the greater the chance you will get an expert involved.* And remember - do not top post or the post police will type at you.

Based on the information you have provided I would guess it is a hardware problem.*

tab

Old 10-28-2009, 02:55 AM
Daniel Dalton

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 09:17:20PM -0500, Tab Gilbert wrote:
> information before they can provide assistance.

Sorry

> What version of Ubuntu?� Is it up to date?

it's running 9.04, I didn't think 9.10 was out yet?

> What laptop model?

Sorry I'm blind so I won't be able to read that off the unit unless
someone knows of a software way of finding that information...

> Was everything working and then just stopped?� Detailed information is

Well I installed some speakup kernel modules, and rebooted, I believe
everything was working fine, but then when I moved the unit to a new
location, it didn't work so good. I think i might have pressed something
on the bottom of the system as well during the relocation process ...

> Based on the information you have provided I would guess it is a hardware
> problem.�

Yes, I think so.

And it's having these problems both on the power and on battery.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 10-28-2009, 03:29 AM
Tab Gilbert

> * *What version of Ubuntu?� Is it up to date?

it's running 9.04, I didn't think 9.10 was out yet?

> * *What laptop model?

Sorry I'm blind so I won't be able to read that off the unit unless

someone knows of a software way of finding that information...

> * *Was everything working and then just stopped?� Detailed information is

Well I installed some speakup kernel modules, and rebooted, I believe

everything was working fine, but then when I moved the unit to a new

location, it didn't work so good. I think i might have pressed something

on the bottom of the system as well during the relocation process ...

> * *Based on the information you have provided I would guess it is a hardware

> * *problem.�

Yes, I think so.

And it's having these problems both on the power and on battery.

Thanks,

Dan

Well, like I said, this problem is beyond my expertise.* I am not sure what speakup kernel modules do but they sound pretty serious. * Have you tried going to a previous kernel when you start up the computer.* Again, I know nothing about computer related accessibly matters.* But when grub starts up you have the option of going to the previous kernel.* Kind of like the way back machine or setting a restore point in windows.* You should be able to determine if the "speakup kernel modules" caused the problem.* I wish I knew of a good troubleshooting method to recommend.* Maybe someone will chime in.

tab