Joysticks in Ubuntu
From: Andrew Farris <firstname.lastname@example.org>
To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <email@example.com>
Sent: Wed, October 28, 2009 12:07:12 AM
Subject: Re: Joysticks in Ubuntu
On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 19:09 -0700, Michael White wrote:
> Is there a frontend application available in Ubuntu to show which
> joysticks you have installed and that can enable them?
Short answer? no
Long answer? there are quite a few in the repos you can download and
try, but they shouldn't be needed.
even longer answer?
I believe once you plug in a joystick, or any other input device, it
simply is auto-configured by X.org and made available for your
applications to use (provided that the device is properly recognized).
If you have a joystick, and it's not working, then you will need to
provide some more information on your joystick, and what you're trying
to accomplish, to get better help.
For some reference, if you want to make sure that your device is being
recognized, do the following:
* * 1. unplug the device
2. run "dmesg | tail" in a terminal (this will give you a baseline
* * * * to compare to)
* * 3. plug the device in
* * 4. run "dmesg | tail" in a terminal again
you should see some output after plugging it in like this (this is from
doing the above for my joystick):
* * * * [173929.752731] usb 1-3.1: new low speed USB device using
* * * * ehci_hcd and address 11
* * * * [173929.888044] usb 1-3.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
* * * * [173939.900298] input: Logitech Logitech Attack 3
* * * * as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1/usb1/1-3/1-3.1/1-3.1:1.0/input/input14
* * * * [173939.901508] generic-usb 0003:046D:C214.0008: input,hidraw0:
* * * * USB HID v1.10 Joystick [Logitech Logitech Attack 3] on
* * *
This means that the device was properly recognized, and is ready for
use. if you have any errors, then that could mean you're having
issues...and the above output could be helpful for fixing it.
Hope that helps!
Thanks Andrew that response does help a lot. I am actually attempting to use a PS3 controller. I do understand that not many people if any have been able to use one but I figured I would have a go at it anyway.
Seeing how there is not a graphical user interface type program, I will have to learn more on the subject before going any further. Thanks again.
ubuntu-users mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users