Old 03-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Alexander Dong Back Kim

Default There is a problem with sound...

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 5:50 AM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

Alexander Dong Back Kim wrote:

Dear members,

It seems there is a problem (at least on my laptop) with a sound card.

Although aplay detects the sound card, even I increase the volume as

maximum, nothing I can here...

There is a warning message in the syslog saying that

*'libcanberra-login-sound.desktop' failed to register before timeout.*

I have no idea what it means.

I feel like I'm a silence now =( please give my world back to me!!!

Regards,

Alex

*

* Alex do you have all the updates to 8.10 installed?

Karl

--

* * * *Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI

* * * *Linux User

* * * *#450462 * http://counter.li.org.

*PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C *ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

Dear Karl,

Yes I do have all the updates of 8.10 I believe.

Alex

Old 03-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Alexander Dong Back Kim

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 5:51 AM, Chris Mohler <cr33dog@gmail.com> wrote:

2009/3/25 Alexander Dong Back Kim <alexdbkim@gmail.com>:

> Dear members,

> It seems there is a problem (at least on my laptop) with a sound card.

> Although aplay detects the sound card, even I increase the volume as

> maximum, nothing I can here...

Assuming you're using Gnome, double-click the volume control applet on

the panel. *Then click "Preferences" and look to see if any of the

Playback channels are invisible. *If so, check/select them and see if

you get playback.

If not - we need to know what soundcard you have - use lspci and lshw...

Chris

Dear Chris,

I have only one playback showing
"ALSA PCM on front:0 (AD198x Analog) via DMA (PulseAudio Mixer)"

The following is the result from aplay

alexdbkim@alexk:~$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
* Subdevices: 1/1
* Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital]

* Subdevices: 1/1
* Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

thanks for further suggestions =)

Regards,