Old 03-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Alexander Dong Back Kim

Default There is a problem with sound...

Dear members,

It seems there is a problem (at least on my laptop) with a sound card. Although aplay detects the sound card, even I increase the volume as maximum, nothing I can here...

There is a warning message in the syslog saying that

'libcanberra-login-sound.desktop' failed to register before timeout.

I have no idea what it means.

I feel like I'm a silence now =( please give my world back to me!!!

Regards,

Alex

Old 03-25-2009, 05:50 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Alexander Dong Back Kim wrote:
> Dear members,
>
> It seems there is a problem (at least on my laptop) with a sound card.
> Although aplay detects the sound card, even I increase the volume as
> maximum, nothing I can here...
>
> There is a warning message in the syslog saying that
>
> *'libcanberra-login-sound.desktop' failed to register before timeout.*
>
> I have no idea what it means.
>
> I feel like I'm a silence now =( please give my world back to me!!!
>
> Regards,
> Alex

Alex do you have all the updates to 8.10 installed?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 03-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Chris Mohler

2009/3/25 Alexander Dong Back Kim <alexdbkim@gmail.com>:
> Dear members,
>
> It seems there is a problem (at least on my laptop) with a sound card.
> Although aplay detects the sound card, even I increase the volume as
> maximum, nothing I can here...

Assuming you're using Gnome, double-click the volume control applet on
the panel. Then click "Preferences" and look to see if any of the
Playback channels are invisible. If so, check/select them and see if
you get playback.

If not - we need to know what soundcard you have - use lspci and lshw...

Chris