Old 03-25-2009, 03:52 AM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

Default 2 GIG limit on usb thumb drives?

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 21:33 -0700, John Conover wrote:
> I can mount 2 gig usb thumb drives, but not 4 gig. Same manufacturer,
> only size is different.
>
> Is there a 2 gig limit?

I do not think there is a limit. I have mounted 8iB thumb drives.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and

Old 03-25-2009, 04:10 AM

Smoot Carl-Mitchell writes:
> On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 21:33 -0700, John Conover wrote:
> > I can mount 2 gig usb thumb drives, but not 4 gig. Same manufacturer,
> > only size is different.
> >
> > Is there a 2 gig limit?
>
> I do not think there is a limit. I have mounted 8iB thumb drives.

Thx., that's what I wanted to know.

John

--

John Conover, conover@rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/

Old 03-25-2009, 04:25 AM
Owen Townend

2009/3/25 John Conover <conover@rahul.net>:

> I can mount 2 gig usb thumb drives, but not 4 gig. Same manufacturer,
> only size is different.
>
> Is there a 2 gig limit?
>
> * Thanks,
>
> * John

I currently have a 16 gig usb thumb drive plugged in here without
issue, so it must be something else.
What error messages do you get if you try to mount it from the command line?

N.B. One thing that's common:
NTFS formatted drives that aren't unmounted cleanly will refuse to
mount unless forced or mounted/removed from a windows machine

cheers,
Owen.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:48 AM
Eberhard Roloff

Owen Townend wrote:
> 2009/3/25 John Conover <conover@rahul.net>:
>> I can mount 2 gig usb thumb drives, but not 4 gig. Same manufacturer,
>> only size is different.
>>
>> Is there a 2 gig limit?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John
>
> I currently have a 16 gig usb thumb drive plugged in here without
> issue, so it must be something else.
> What error messages do you get if you try to mount it from the command line?
>
> N.B. One thing that's common:
> NTFS formatted drives that aren't unmounted cleanly will refuse to
> mount unless forced or mounted/removed from a windows machine
>
> cheers,
> Owen.

also your 2 GB limit reminds me of the old FAT32 problem, that
partitions of more than 2GB cannot work properly.

Check what filesystem your 4GB thumb drive is formatted with. If it is
FATxx, change it to ext3. Should you also work with a Win NT/2k/XP/Vista
machine, ntfs is a better choice.

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 03-25-2009, 08:06 AM

Eberhard Roloff writes:
> Owen Townend wrote:
> > 2009/3/25 John Conover <conover@rahul.net>:
> >> I can mount 2 gig usb thumb drives, but not 4 gig. Same manufacturer,
> >> only size is different.
> >>
> >> Is there a 2 gig limit?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> John
> >
> > I currently have a 16 gig usb thumb drive plugged in here without
> > issue, so it must be something else.
> > What error messages do you get if you try to mount it from the command line?
> >
> > N.B. One thing that's common:
> > NTFS formatted drives that aren't unmounted cleanly will refuse to
> > mount unless forced or mounted/removed from a windows machine
> >
> also your 2 GB limit reminds me of the old FAT32 problem, that
> partitions of more than 2GB cannot work properly.
>
> Check what filesystem your 4GB thumb drive is formatted with. If it is
> FATxx, change it to ext3. Should you also work with a Win NT/2k/XP/Vista
> machine, ntfs is a better choice.

Thanks, Owen. Its a W95 FAT32 (LBA), according to fdisk(8), and
doesn't work. The 2 GB pen drive is FAT16, and works. I just fdisk'ed
and mkfs'ed to a FAT16 4 GB, and am filling it up to see if it
crashes. Using FAT16 with a 4 GB device is scary.

Thanks,

John

BTW, what started this is that I need to store about 3 GB, and had a 2 GB
that was reliable. Found a 4-same brand, same case, but didn't work.

--

John Conover, conover@rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/

Old 03-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Eberhard Roloff

John Conover wrote:

> Thanks, Owen. Its a W95 FAT32 (LBA), according to fdisk(8), and
> doesn't work. The 2 GB pen drive is FAT16, and works. I just fdisk'ed
> and mkfs'ed to a FAT16 4 GB,

This does not make much sense.

2GBs with FAT 16 is ok since FAT 16 is linited to a size of max. 2 GB.

With 4 GBs, you better use NTFS or a Linux File System. FAT32 aka "W95
FAT 32 (LBA)" will also work, but not FAT 16

and am filling it up to see if it
> crashes. Using FAT16 with a 4 GB device is scary.

It definitely is! So better use Fat32, NTFS or a Linux File System...

> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> BTW, what started this is that I need to store about 3 GB, and had a 2 GB
> that was reliable. Found a 4-same brand, same case, but didn't work.

crazy. I never saw a stick with a filesystem that did not work for the
size it had.

Eberhard