Old 01-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Rick Berger

Default Nvidia Geforce 6600 OC graphic card and 1920x1200 resolution upgraded for 7.10?

Hi,

I've just upgraded my 7.10 box video hardware to a Nvidia Geforce 6600
OC graphic card and a Samsung SyncMaster 245BW for 1920x1200 resolution.
I've got somewhat of a idea of what I have to do but I like to see some
Ubuntu user document/howto on the issues of different hardware upgrades.
Is there a place in Ubuntu's web that tries to help the user in hardware
upgrades? In my case something on upgrading video drivers and changing
X's screen resolution to nonstandard settings.

Rick

Old 01-02-2008, 10:54 PM
marvin mckinley

If you cannot find it on Ubuntu you might want to try sourceforge ,com

Rick Berger <rberger@rogers.com> wrote: Hi,

I've just upgraded my 7.10 box video hardware to a Nvidia Geforce 6600
OC graphic card and a Samsung SyncMaster 245BW for 1920x1200 resolution.
I've got somewhat of a idea of what I have to do but I like to see some
Ubuntu user document/howto on the issues of different hardware upgrades.
Is there a place in Ubuntu's web that tries to help the user in hardware
upgrades? In my case something on upgrading video drivers and changing
X's screen resolution to nonstandard settings.

Rick

Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.--

Old 01-03-2008, 05:44 AM
"Michael R. Head"

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 12:45 -0500, Rick Berger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just upgraded my 7.10 box video hardware to a Nvidia Geforce 6600
> OC graphic card and a Samsung SyncMaster 245BW for 1920x1200 resolution.
> I've got somewhat of a idea of what I have to do but I like to see some
> Ubuntu user document/howto on the issues of different hardware upgrades.
> Is there a place in Ubuntu's web that tries to help the user in hardware
> upgrades? In my case something on upgrading video drivers and changing
> X's screen resolution to nonstandard settings.

I don't think the older nvidia cards support 1920x1200. My geforce maxes
out at 1600x1200 (found out after getting a similar monitor).
Fortunately, I usually connect the monitor to a Mac Mini and a Tivo HD,
both of which drive it quite nicely.

--
Michael R. Head <burner@suppressingfire.org>
http://picasaweb.google.com/demiri.head.wedding

Old 01-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Jonathan Hirschman

Michael R. Head wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 12:45 -0500, Rick Berger wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just upgraded my 7.10 box video hardware to a Nvidia Geforce 6600
>> OC graphic card and a Samsung SyncMaster 245BW for 1920x1200 resolution.
>>

> I don't think the older nvidia cards support 1920x1200. My geforce maxes
> out at 1600x1200 (found out after getting a similar monitor).
The 6600 and up should definitely support this resolution.

The original poster should verify that they're using dual-link DVI all
the way from the card to the monitor. If the OP is using a single-link
cable, nothing is going to work in any OS.

jh

Old 01-04-2008, 01:51 AM
Rick Berger

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 13:44 -0500, Jonathan Hirschman wrote:
> Michael R. Head wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 12:45 -0500, Rick Berger wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've just upgraded my 7.10 box video hardware to a Nvidia Geforce 6600
> >> OC graphic card and a Samsung SyncMaster 245BW for 1920x1200 resolution.
> >>

> > I don't think the older nvidia cards support 1920x1200. My geforce maxes
> > out at 1600x1200 (found out after getting a similar monitor).
> The 6600 and up should definitely support this resolution.
>
> The original poster should verify that they're using dual-link DVI all
> the way from the card to the monitor. If the OP is using a single-link
> cable, nothing is going to work in any OS.
>
> jh

Hi,

I sort of got side tracked with other life issues, but yes it worked
when enabled the driver in the Restricted Drivers Manager. I'm getting
1600 x 1200 with vga. I can't change to the DVI cable because of my
dexterity but I'll get someone to do it when they drop by.

How do I tell if the cable that came with the monitor is dual-link DVI?
And once on DVI, what do I have to do to get it to 1920 x 1200?

By the way it looks pretty dam good now.

Thanks

Rick