Old 03-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default Gnome language layouts, multiple desktops,

Hi all, KDE user spending a week in Gnome.

1) When I configured the keyboard layouts for two languages,
everything worked fine. After restarting the computer, the keyboard
shortcut does not change layouts. However, it is properly configured
already when I try to configure it in Keyboard Preferences -> Layouts.
Furthermore, clicking in the indicator to switch languages does in
fact change the language listed in the indicator, however, the typing
is in English no matter which layout the indicator shows.

2) In what may be a related issue, Sticky Keys does not work after
restarting the computer either, even though it is properly configured.

3) Is there no Krunner equivalent in Gnome? In KDE, the user can press
Alt-F2 then type in the name of the program that he needs to run. I
have installed Gnome Do but I cannot seem to bind it to a keyboard
shortcut.

4) I cannot find where to configure a single desktop as opposed to the
two that Gnome gives me as default. Clicking Preferences from the
desktop pager applet does not give me an option to change the amount
of desktops, nor does anywhere else in the menus that I can find.
Googling leads me to believe that it _should_ be in the applet but it
is not. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 03-24-2009, 09:21 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Hi all, KDE user spending a week in Gnome.
>
> 1) When I configured the keyboard layouts for two languages,
> everything worked fine. After restarting the computer, the keyboard
> shortcut does not change layouts. However, it is properly configured
> already when I try to configure it in Keyboard Preferences -> Layouts.
> Furthermore, clicking in the indicator to switch languages does in
> fact change the language listed in the indicator, however, the typing
> is in English no matter which layout the indicator shows.
>
> 2) In what may be a related issue, Sticky Keys does not work after
> restarting the computer either, even though it is properly configured.
>
> 3) Is there no Krunner equivalent in Gnome? In KDE, the user can press
> Alt-F2 then type in the name of the program that he needs to run. I
> have installed Gnome Do but I cannot seem to bind it to a keyboard
> shortcut.
>
> 4) I cannot find where to configure a single desktop as opposed to the
> two that Gnome gives me as default. Clicking Preferences from the
> desktop pager applet does not give me an option to change the amount
> of desktops, nor does anywhere else in the menus that I can find.
> Googling leads me to believe that it _should_ be in the applet but it
> is not. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks.

Hi all you do is right click on the two window thing lower right and
look at preferance and choose how many. I have mine set to 4 windows.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 03-25-2009, 01:41 AM
Brian McKee

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, KDE user spending a week in Gnome.
> 3) Is there no Krunner equivalent in Gnome? In KDE, the user can press
> Alt-F2 then type in the name of the program that he needs to run. I
> have installed Gnome Do but I cannot seem to bind it to a keyboard
> shortcut.

alt-f2 is a gnome default too - should come with the panel for free...
works everywhere I've tried it. Perhaps related to your keyboard
issues?

Gnome-Do is Windows Key and Space Bar here by default (I haven't tried
to reassign it)

> 4) I cannot find where to configure a single desktop as opposed to the
> two that Gnome gives me as default. Clicking Preferences from the
> desktop pager applet does not give me an option to change the amount
> of desktops, nor does anywhere else in the menus that I can find.
> Googling leads me to believe that it _should_ be in the applet but it
> is not. What am I doing wrong?

Do you have a bunch of Compiz stuff running and overrulling the
regular defaults? Try going back to no effects for a second and see if
your desktop applet and alt-f2 start working.

Brian

Old 03-25-2009, 01:47 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:41 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all, KDE user spending a week in Gnome.
>> 3) Is there no Krunner equivalent in Gnome? In KDE, the user can press
>> Alt-F2 then type in the name of the program that he needs to run. I
>> have installed Gnome Do but I cannot seem to bind it to a keyboard
>> shortcut.
>
> alt-f2 is a gnome default too - should come with the panel for free...
> *works everywhere I've tried it. *Perhaps related to your keyboard
> issues?
>
> Gnome-Do is Windows Key and Space Bar here by default (I haven't tried
> to reassign it)
>
>> 4) I cannot find where to configure a single desktop as opposed to the
>> two that Gnome gives me as default. Clicking Preferences from the
>> desktop pager applet does not give me an option to change the amount
>> of desktops, nor does anywhere else in the menus that I can find.
>> Googling leads me to believe that it _should_ be in the applet but it
>> is not. What am I doing wrong?
>

> Do you have a bunch of Compiz stuff running and overrulling the
> regular defaults? Try going back to no effects for a second and see if
> your desktop applet and alt-f2 start working.
>
> Brian

Same problem here with Workspace Switcher (8.10 i386), setting visual
effects from normal to none re-enables managing.

--
Lucio M Nicolosi, Eng. - Sao Paulo - Brazil
skype: lmnicolosi1

Old 03-25-2009, 05:52 AM
Dotan Cohen

> Hi all you do is right click on the two window thing lower right and
> look at preferance and choose how many. I have mine set to 4 windows.

Thank you Karl. The only preferences that I have for the Desktop
Switcher is for how many columns, and how many rows.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 03-25-2009, 05:55 AM
Dotan Cohen

> alt-f2 is a gnome default too - should come with the panel for free...

For some reason it is not working here. Maybe I have not installed the
full Gnome desktop, as this is Gnome on a Kubuntu installation.

> works everywhere I've tried it. Perhaps related to your keyboard
> issues?

Sounds likely!

> Gnome-Do is Windows Key and Space Bar here by default (I haven't tried
> to reassign it)

Doesn't work here. I suspect that something is seriously borked.

> Do you have a bunch of Compiz stuff running and overrulling the
> regular defaults? Try going back to no effects for a second and see if
> your desktop applet and alt-f2 start working.

Compiz is running, but stopping Compiz does not change the situation.

I suspect that I may have a partial or failed install, I will see what
I can do about that. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 03-25-2009, 05:56 AM
Dotan Cohen

> > Do you have a bunch of Compiz stuff running and overrulling the
> > regular defaults? Try going back to no effects for a second and see if
> > your desktop applet and alt-f2 start working.
>
> Same problem here with Workspace Switcher (8.10 i386), setting visual
> effects from normal to none re-enables managing.

For me it doesn't help, can someone else confirm or deny the situation?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 03-25-2009, 11:07 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Hi all you do is right click on the two window thing lower right and
>> look at preferance and choose how many. I have mine set to 4 windows.
>>

> Thank you Karl. The only preferences that I have for the Desktop
> Switcher is for how many columns, and how many rows.

your right. This method only selects how the desk tops are arranged.
I have 4 desk tops and to be honest, I have no idea how I got 4 :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 03-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 08:52:38 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> Hi all you do is right click on the two window thing lower right and
>> look at preferance and choose how many. I have mine set to 4 windows.
>>

> Thank you Karl. The only preferences that I have for the Desktop
> Switcher is for how many columns, and how many rows.

How many screens do you think you will get if you choose 1 column, 1 row?

Aart

Old 03-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Dotan Cohen

> How many screens do you think you will get if you choose 1 column, 1 row?

The applet does not let me choose 1 column, 1 row. Does it let you?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il