FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Matthew Flaschen
 
Default File Name changes across Samba

NoOp wrote:

> So here's the question: anyone know why the '?' in the file name would
> cause samba to change to 'FYL228~4.EML'?

Not really, but it sounds like some quirk in a 8.3
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.3_filename) algorithm. The SAMBA list
(https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba) might give you a more
definitive answer.

Matt Flaschen

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-24-2009, 11:33 PM
NoOp
 
Default File Name changes across Samba

On 03/24/2009 01:56 PM, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> So here's the question: anyone know why the '?' in the file name would
>> cause samba to change to 'FYL228~4.EML'?
>
> Not really, but it sounds like some quirk in a 8.3
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.3_filename) algorithm. The SAMBA list
> (https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba) might give you a more
> definitive answer.
>
> Matt Flaschen
>

Thanks. I'll have a look & see what I can find out. This took me a bit
by surprise as it's the first such file name that I've left as is with
all the spaces and the '?' mark.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Derek Broughton
 
Default File Name changes across Samba

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> NoOp wrote:
>
>> So here's the question: anyone know why the '?' in the file name would
>> cause samba to change to 'FYL228~4.EML'?
>
> Not really, but it sounds like some quirk in a 8.3
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.3_filename) algorithm.

In particular, that ? is a single character wild card in DOS, so obviously
impossible for an 8.3 filename.

--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-25-2009, 01:27 AM
Brian McKee
 
Default File Name changes across Samba

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 8:33 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 03/24/2009 01:56 PM, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>
>>> So here's the question: anyone know why the '?' in the file name would
>>> cause samba to change to 'FYL228~4.EML'?
>>
>> Not really, but it sounds like some quirk in a 8.3
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.3_filename) algorithm. *The SAMBA list
>> (https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba) might give you a more
>> definitive answer.
>>
>
> Thanks. I'll have a look & see what I can find out. This took me a bit
> by surprise as it's the first such file name that I've left as is with
> all the spaces and the '?' mark.

I've seen similar sharing Mac created files - they've got slashes or
colons in them and Samba mangles 'em like that.

Brian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:02 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org