Old 03-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Saba Moshe

Default Live CD on dual boot

In my computer's BIOS CD is the first in the boot order.

I was using LiveCDs of different disros to decide which of them will I install.
Since I installed Ubuntu dual-boot with XP I lost the abilty to boot to any LiveCD.

Is there an entry I can add to the grub file to enable me to choose a LiveCD boot?

Thanks

Saba Moshe
*
--
Proudly sent using Ubuntu 8.10
Registered Linux user / machine: 482556 / 392821

Old 03-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Dirk Freitag

Saba Moshe wrote:
> In my computer's BIOS CD is the first in the boot order.
>
> I was using LiveCDs of different disros to decide which of them will I
> install.
>
> Since I installed Ubuntu dual-boot with XP I lost the abilty to boot to
> any LiveCD.
>
> Is there an entry I can add to the grub file to enable me to choose a
> LiveCD boot?
>
> Thanks
>
> Saba Moshe
>
> --
> Proudly sent using Ubuntu 8.10
> Registered Linux user / machine: 482556 / 392821
> <http://www.sh-dor.info>,<http://www.lupu.info>,<http://www.d-hk.org>

The fact that your system is dual-booted should not matter when it comes
to loading LiveCDs. I have been triple booted before and still able to
load a LiveCD. Double check your BIOS and make sure that the CD is set
to boot before the HDD.

--
Dirk Freitag
Linux Registered User Number 487244 [http://counter.li.org/]

Old 03-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Saba Moshe

> In my computer's BIOS CD is the first in the boot order.

> I was using LiveCDs of different disros to decide which of them will I

> install.

> Since I installed Ubuntu dual-boot with XP I lost the abilty to boot to

> any LiveCD.

> Is there an entry I can add to the grub file to enable me to choose a

> LiveCD boot?

> Thanks

> Saba Moshe

> --

> Proudly sent using Ubuntu 8.10

> Registered Linux user / machine: 482556 / 392821

> <http://www.sh-dor.info>,<http://www.lupu.info>,<http://www.d-hk.org>

The fact that your system is dual-booted should not matter when it comes

to loading LiveCDs. *I have been triple booted before and still able to

load a LiveCD. *Double check your BIOS and make sure that the CD is set

to boot before the HDD.

--

Dirk Freitag

Linux Registered User Number 487244 * * * * *[http://counter.li.org/]

Thank you Dirk for your prompt note, so I thought.

I double checked it before posting, and also searched for relevant postings in Ubuntu's forums and on Google, but found nothing relevant. Facts are: Cd is first in BIOS' boot order, there is a Live CD in the CD tray, but it boots to grub's boot menu.

I assumed that if I add to the grub file an entry with the CD as target, I'll be able to choose it from the boot-menu. But it probably needs mounting first the cdrom and I am too newbie to create this entry by myself.

Any lead will be appreciated.

Saba Moshe
*

Old 03-25-2009, 04:47 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

2009/3/24 Saba Moshe <sabamoshe@gmail.com>:
> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 15:11:44 -0400
> From: Dirk Freitag <unreal.linux@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Live CD on dual boot
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, * * not for general discussions"
> * * * *<ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

> Saba Moshe wrote:
>> In my computer's BIOS CD is the first in the boot order.
>>
>> I was using LiveCDs of different disros to decide which of them will I
>> install.
>>
>> Since I installed Ubuntu dual-boot with XP I lost the abilty to boot to
>> any LiveCD.
>>
>> Is there an entry I can add to the grub file to enable me to choose a
>> LiveCD boot?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Saba Moshe
>>
>> --
>> Proudly sent using Ubuntu 8.10
>> Registered Linux user / machine: 482556 / 392821
>> <http://www.sh-dor.info>,<http://www.lupu.info>,<http://www.d-hk.org>
>>

> The fact that your system is dual-booted should not matter when it comes
> to loading LiveCDs. *I have been triple booted before and still able to
> load a LiveCD. *Double check your BIOS and make sure that the CD is set
> to boot before the HDD.
>

> --
> Dirk Freitag
> Linux Registered User Number 487244 * * * * *[http://counter.li.org/]
>

> Thank you Dirk for your prompt note, so I thought.
>
> I double checked it before posting, and also searched for relevant postings
> in Ubuntu's forums and on Google, but found nothing relevant. Facts are: Cd
> is first in BIOS' boot order, there is a Live CD in the CD tray, but it
> boots to grub's boot menu.
>
> I assumed that if I add to the grub file an entry with the CD as target,
> I'll be able to choose it from the boot-menu. But it probably needs mounting
> first the cdrom and I am too newbie to create this entry by myself.
>
> Any lead will be appreciated.
>
> Saba Moshe

Once BIOS is set to CD first, it doesn't matter what you have in your
HD or if you even have a HD.

Does it happens with other bootable CDs you might have?

Do you have more than a single CD or DVD unit?

Have you tried setting your BIOS to none HDs?

--
Lucio M Nicolosi, Eng. - Sao Paulo - Brazil
skype: lmnicolosi1

Old 03-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Saba Moshe