Old 03-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Josef Wolf

Default Changing interface names in pppd, where is the ifname option?

Hello,

I have multiple ADSL lines running ppp. This works fine except of
one problem: The interface names keep changing. Sometimes the first
line is on ppp0, sometimes it is on ppp1, sometimes on ppp2, and so
on. The same happens for the second line too.

I see that pppd in other distros has the "ifname" option to assign
a stable interface name for a given peer. This option seems not to
exist in ubuntu's pppd.

What happened to this option? Is there any other way to get stable
interface names in ubuntu?

Old 03-24-2009, 06:19 PM
"H.S."

Josef Wolf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have multiple ADSL lines running ppp. This works fine except of
> one problem: The interface names keep changing. Sometimes the first
> line is on ppp0, sometimes it is on ppp1, sometimes on ppp2, and so
> on. The same happens for the second line too.
>
> I see that pppd in other distros has the "ifname" option to assign
> a stable interface name for a given peer. This option seems not to
> exist in ubuntu's pppd.
>
> What happened to this option? Is there any other way to get stable
> interface names in ubuntu?

Perhaps you are looking for ifrename? Do
$> apt-cache show ifrename

ever having been read.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Josef Wolf

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 03:19:23PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
> Josef Wolf wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have multiple ADSL lines running ppp. This works fine except of
> > one problem: The interface names keep changing. Sometimes the first
> > line is on ppp0, sometimes it is on ppp1, sometimes on ppp2, and so
> > on. The same happens for the second line too.
> >
> > I see that pppd in other distros has the "ifname" option to assign
> > a stable interface name for a given peer. This option seems not to
> > exist in ubuntu's pppd.
> >
> > What happened to this option? Is there any other way to get stable
> > interface names in ubuntu?
>
> Perhaps you are looking for ifrename? Do
> $> apt-cache show ifrename

Thanks for the suggestion!

Which repository contains this package? I have enabled universe and
multiverse, but apt don't find it.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Cameron Hutchison

Josef Wolf <jw@raven.inka.de> writes:

>What happened to this option? Is there any other way to get stable
>[ppp] interface names in ubuntu?

The pppd config has a "unit" directive (see the pppd man page) to
specify which number to use after the "ppp" in the interface name.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 PM
"H.S."

Josef Wolf wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 03:19:23PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
>> Josef Wolf wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have multiple ADSL lines running ppp. This works fine except of
>>> one problem: The interface names keep changing. Sometimes the first
>>> line is on ppp0, sometimes it is on ppp1, sometimes on ppp2, and so
>>> on. The same happens for the second line too.
>>>
>>> I see that pppd in other distros has the "ifname" option to assign
>>> a stable interface name for a given peer. This option seems not to
>>> exist in ubuntu's pppd.
>>>
>>> What happened to this option? Is there any other way to get stable
>>> interface names in ubuntu?
>> Perhaps you are looking for ifrename? Do
>> $> apt-cache show ifrename
>
> Thanks for the suggestion!
>
> Which repository contains this package? I have enabled universe and
> multiverse, but apt don't find it.

er .. this is weird. It appears to have been in Gutsy (in Universe) and
not in more recent Ubuntu versions. It is in Debian though. So if you
find no other option, you could always add a Debian repo and set up
/etc/apt/preferences such that only that package is pulled from Debian
repos and none other.

ever having been read.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Derek Broughton

H.S. wrote:

> Josef Wolf wrote:
>>
>> I have multiple ADSL lines running ppp. This works fine except of
>> one problem: The interface names keep changing. Sometimes the first
>> line is on ppp0, sometimes it is on ppp1, sometimes on ppp2, and so
>> on. The same happens for the second line too.
>>
>> I see that pppd in other distros has the "ifname" option to assign
>> a stable interface name for a given peer. This option seems not to
>> exist in ubuntu's pppd.

It shouldn't be needed, because interface naming is handled by udev. But
it's so long since I had a ppp interface, I couldn't tell you if it's
handled _right_ :-(
--
derek

Old 03-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Josef Wolf

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 07:19:59PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
[ ... ]
> er .. this is weird. It appears to have been in Gutsy (in Universe) and
> not in more recent Ubuntu versions. It is in Debian though. So if you
> find no other option, you could always add a Debian repo and set up
> /etc/apt/preferences such that only that package is pulled from Debian
> repos and none other.

OK.

But AFAICS, ifrename operates only on hardware-related information.
There is no way to rename th interface based on the provider.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Josef Wolf

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:19:27PM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>
> > Josef Wolf wrote:
> >>
> >> I have multiple ADSL lines running ppp. This works fine except of
> >> one problem: The interface names keep changing. Sometimes the first
> >> line is on ppp0, sometimes it is on ppp1, sometimes on ppp2, and so
> >> on. The same happens for the second line too.
> >>
> >> I see that pppd in other distros has the "ifname" option to assign
> >> a stable interface name for a given peer. This option seems not to
> >> exist in ubuntu's pppd.
>
> It shouldn't be needed, because interface naming is handled by udev.

So how do I tell udev to name the device based on the provider name?

Old 03-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Josef Wolf

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:38:41PM -0000, Cameron Hutchison wrote:
> Josef Wolf <jw@raven.inka.de> writes:
>
> >What happened to this option? Is there any other way to get stable
> >[ppp] interface names in ubuntu?
>
> The pppd config has a "unit" directive (see the pppd man page) to
> specify which number to use after the "ppp" in the interface name.

Yeah, I see. And here, it starts getting wired. Opensuse's man page
(for pppd-2.4.5, which has the ifname option) suggests that this is
not reliable:

unit num
Sets the ppp unit number (for a ppp0 or ppp1 etc interface
name) for outbound connections. If the unit is already in use a
dynamically allocated will be used.

So there is no guarantee that this unit is actually used.

OTOH, intrepid's man page (pppd-2.4.4, without ifname option) don't
have this last sentence.

This looks to me like they have noticed that the unit option is not
reliable and they have added the ifname option in 2.4.5.

Anybody knows which version will be included in 9.04 and whether it
supports the ifname option?

Old 03-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Derek Broughton

Josef Wolf wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 07:19:59PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
> [ ... ]
>> er .. this is weird. It appears to have been in Gutsy (in Universe) and
>> not in more recent Ubuntu versions. It is in Debian though. So if you
>> find no other option, you could always add a Debian repo and set up
>> /etc/apt/preferences such that only that package is pulled from Debian
>> repos and none other.
>
> OK.
>
> But AFAICS, ifrename operates only on hardware-related information.
> There is no way to rename th interface based on the provider.

Sure there is. udev (which is what should be used, and why we don't _have_
ifrename any more) can rename an interface based on anything you want. If
it's too complicated for udev's own parsing, you can have udev invoke a
script.
--
derek