Old 01-02-2008, 04:15 PM
John Carlyle-Clarke

Default Ink monitoring Canon i865 with Gutsy

I have a Canon i865. libinklevel 0.7.1 as supplied with gutsy does not
support my printer, but 0.7.2 does.

However, I use the Turboprint proprietary driver to run my printer, and
that can support giving ink levels from the command line.

In the interest of expanding my knowledge of my system, what methods
could I use to give myself nice status notification of ink levels? The
ideal would be something on the panel that showed Green, Amber (if any
cartridges are low) or Red (if any are out).

I can see I could write a script in bash or whatever to email me if
there's a problem and execute it periodically from crontab, but I'd like
something graphical. Is there any easy way to roll a custom panel
applet? A universal monitor?

I know tools like cronky and gkrellm can be modified to monitor almost
anything. I remember from my kde usage that there were superkaramba
bits that could do that too.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated. I'm still very ignorant about
Debian/Ubuntu packaging too - are there any nice tools which can
magically make me a .deb from a tarball so that I can just upgrade
libinklevel and use one of the existing tools?

johncc@liberator:~$ tpconfig --ink
Black : low
Cyan : ok
Magenta : ok