Old 03-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Nils Kassube

Default OT: Thunderbird email removal

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Now just click on Delete and watch. It takes a little
> time but in the lower left corner it tells you it is sending email to
> the trash directory. You can look at the Trash and it will show the
> files you sent there.

Well, IMHO moving to the trash directory is something entirely different
than deleting stuff. So it seems the delete function is faulty. Yes, I
know you can empty the trash afterwards, but why move to the trash in
the first place if you want to delete mails?

Nils

Old 03-24-2009, 01:40 PM
"Mark Haney"

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> I have been using Thunderbird email client for a long time. But this
> morning I learned out how to delete old email in large chunks. I have
> wanted to do it for some time but it didn't seem to work. Here is what
> works.
>
> First select the mail you want to delete. You do this by selecting
> the oldest email, and then go to the newest you want to delete and first
> hold the Shift key which darkens all the email you want to delete. Now
> just click on Delete and watch. It takes a little time but in the lower
> left corner it tells you it is sending email to the trash directory. You
> can look at the Trash and it will show the files you sent there.
>
> Karl

I'm really gonna pretend you didn't send this to my email. That's a
shortcut EVERYONE should know. The shift-click option is used in
virtually every GUI out there. My kids know it, the youngest is 10.
Did we really need this in our INBOXes?

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 03-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Franz Waldmüller

Hi Karl,

> First select the mail you want to delete. You do this by selecting
> the oldest email, and then go to the newest you want to delete and first
> hold the Shift key which darkens all the email you want to delete. Now
> just click on Delete and watch. It takes a little time but in the lower
> left corner it tells you it is sending email to the trash directory. You
> can look at the Trash and it will show the files you sent there.

If you want to free up the space on your hard disk as well you have to
compact the mail folder:
-> File -> Compact all folders.
Otherwise the emails are just marked as deleted.
Take a look at the link below for more information
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_Tips_:_Compacting_Folders

Franz

Old 03-24-2009, 02:12 PM
"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)"

Nils Kassube wrote:
> [...] Yes, I
> know you can empty the trash afterwards, but why move to the trash in
> the first place if you want to delete mails?

It's a stupid inheritance from the Windows world.

--
Chef de projet chez Vectoris
Phone: +261 33 11 207 36

Old 03-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Ray Leventhal

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:

> It's a stupid inheritance from the Windows world.

Not to put too fine a point on this or add to the noise here, but this
is most definitely NOT a stupid inheritance from M$. Even the old
standby, pine, only marks messages as deleted. To make them go away, you
have to 'purge' them. That seems to me to be what this is more
analogous to.

-Ray

Old 03-24-2009, 02:38 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> Now just click on Delete and watch. It takes a little
>> time but in the lower left corner it tells you it is sending email to
>> the trash directory. You can look at the Trash and it will show the
>> files you sent there.
>>

> Well, IMHO moving to the trash directory is something entirely different
> than deleting stuff. So it seems the delete function is faulty. Yes, I
> know you can empty the trash afterwards, but why move to the trash in
> the first place if you want to delete mails?
>

> Nils

I do not move the Trash directory. I goto File Empty trash.

Karl

Old 03-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Franz Waldmüller

Hi Karl,
> I do not move the Trash directory. I goto File Empty trash.
If you keep the shift key pressed when clicking delete or pressing the
delete key the selected emails are deleted directly (Not moved to the
trash directory).
The need to compact the folders remains.

Franz

Old 03-24-2009, 02:59 PM
"Mark Haney"

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>
>>> Now just click on Delete and watch. It takes a little
>>> time but in the lower left corner it tells you it is sending email to
>>> the trash directory. You can look at the Trash and it will show the
>>> files you sent there.
>>>
>> Well, IMHO moving to the trash directory is something entirely different
>> than deleting stuff. So it seems the delete function is faulty. Yes, I
>> know you can empty the trash afterwards, but why move to the trash in
>> the first place if you want to delete mails?
>>

>> Nils
>>

> I do not move the Trash directory. I goto File Empty trash.
>

> Karl

He didn't say move the Trash directory, he said Move TO the trash
directory. I.e. by deleting you move the 'deleted' messages to the
Trash bin.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> Now just click on Delete and watch. It takes a little
>> time but in the lower left corner it tells you it is sending email to
>> the trash directory. You can look at the Trash and it will show the
>> files you sent there.
>
> Well, IMHO moving to the trash directory is something entirely different
> than deleting stuff. So it seems the delete function is faulty.

It's not faulty. It's a design choice. You can bypass Trash by
pressing shift-delete
(http://email.about.com/od/mozillatips/qt/et122801.htm0), or set it to
empty trash automatically on exit .

> Yes, I know you can empty the trash afterwards, but why move to the trash in
> the first place if you want to delete mails?

Because it is quite common to accidentally press delete.

Matt Flaschen

Old 03-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Steve Flynn

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)
<mihamina@lab.vectoris.fr> wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>> [...] Yes, I
>> know you can empty the trash afterwards, but why move to the trash in
>> the first place if you want to delete mails?
>
> It's a stupid inheritance from the Windows world.

Not really correct there.

Pine, which I used heavily in the early 90's used "mark as deleted".
Prior to that, we had Foozle, April and Spot which all used a similar
mechanism. I'm sure if I thought about it longer, there would be many
more... Xmail comes to mind immediately on Vax VMS systems along with
a program who's name I don 't recall on ICL VME machines.

It's been quite common since the 1970's to use a similar mechanism so
to decry it as a "stupid inherientance" is pretty much pissing on ones
own ancestors.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0