Old 03-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Sam Roberts

Default tcpslice: cannot accept captures with zero or one packet

Package: tcpslice
Version: 1.2a3-2ubuntu1
Severity: important
Tags: patch

tcpslice fails on packet captures with zero or one packet in them. Given
an arbitrary set of captures, it is entirely possible that some of them
don't have packets or have small numbers of packets.

It is not easy to determine how many packets are in a capture, and
tcpslice itself will write captures with zero or one packets if that is
how many are found in a slice.

This is easily reproduceable with tcpslice by running it with -R to find
the time of the first/last packet in a capture, then creating slices
that have the last packet and no packets.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: lenny/sid
APT prefers gutsy-updates
APT policy: (500, 'gutsy-updates'), (500, 'gutsy-security'), (500, 'gutsy-proposed'), (500, 'gutsy-backports'), (500, 'gutsy')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.22-16-generic (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_CA.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_CA.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash

Versions of packages tcpslice depends on:
ii libc6 2.6.1-1ubuntu10 GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii libpcap0.8 0.9.7-1build1 System interface for user-level pa

tcpslice recommends no packages.

-- no debconf information

Old 03-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:38:23 -0700
Sam Roberts <sroberts@wurldtech.com> wrote:

> Package: tcpslice
> Version: 1.2a3-2ubuntu1
> Severity: important
> Tags: patch
>

> tcpslice fails on packet captures with zero or one packet in them.
> Given an arbitrary set of captures, it is entirely possible that some
> of them don't have packets or have small numbers of packets.
>
> It is not easy to determine how many packets are in a capture, and
> tcpslice itself will write captures with zero or one packets if that
> is how many are found in a slice.
>
> This is easily reproduceable with tcpslice by running it with -R to
> find the time of the first/last packet in a capture, then creating
> slices that have the last packet and no packets.
>

> -- System Information:
> Debian Release: lenny/sid
> APT prefers gutsy-updates
> APT policy: (500, 'gutsy-updates'), (500, 'gutsy-security'), (500,
> 'gutsy-proposed'), (500, 'gutsy-backports'), (500, 'gutsy')
> Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
>
> Kernel: Linux 2.6.22-16-generic (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
> Locale: LANG=en_CA.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_CA.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
> Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
>
> Versions of packages tcpslice depends on:
> ii libc6 2.6.1-1ubuntu10 GNU C Library: Shared
> libraries ii libpcap0.8 0.9.7-1build1 System
> interface for user-level pa
>
> tcpslice recommends no packages.
>
> -- no debconf information

Can you file this on launchpad? I know the system sent it to the users
mailing list, but it never gets worked if it stays here.

The right place to file bug reports is:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu

That will give the developers a chance to see if they can fix it.

By the way, Gutsy is Ubuntu 7.10. The support period is now nearing its
end and Ubuntu 7.10 will reach end of life on Saturday, April 18, 2008.
At that time, Ubuntu Security Notices will no longer include
information or updated packages for Ubuntu 7.10.

I would suggest upgrading to 8.04 LTS, which has a support of three
years for home users, 5 years for server edition.

Thanks.

--
Charlie Kravetz