Old 03-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Derek Broughton

Default Common folder between two users (same machine)

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:

> Alan E. Davis wrote:
>> - set up a user "common" where a partition is mounted to
>> /home/common/photos, or some such.
>> - set up symlinks in each user's directory to folders that other
>> users may be allowed to access
>
> - Creating a /public directory and then chmoding it to 777
> - Using filesystem ACLs:
> - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ACL-OnByDefault
> - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FilePermissions
>
> PS: I dont understand _why_ Ubuntu documentation is behind an HTTPS
> link... It forbids my squid to cache it...

I had the same complaint. In my case, it prevents my satellite service from
aggregating the requests, meaning I get an extra half-second latency for
every image on a page.
--
derek

Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 PM
"Alan E. Davis"

Thank you for the suggestions.

I can set up a partition or a folder.* In the case of the partition, I can mount this in several places at once, both /home/user1 and /home/user2.* Permissions will keep this parition secure and accessible to family members.

Did I get that correct?

I'll try to discover what is ACL.

Alan Davis

"An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need for one non-existent." * * * * * * * * * * ---Lord Raleigh (John William Strutt), or else his son, who was also a scientist.

It is undesirable to believe a proposition when
there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true.
* * ---- Bertrand Russell

Old 03-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Cameron Hutchison

"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" <mihamina@lab.vectoris.fr> writes:

>Alan E. Davis wrote:
>> [...] So,
>> given that I can assign a bookmark to /public or /usr/local/common, or
>> whatever, can I mount the directory to both user's ~/ (home) directory?

>You wont mount a directory, but a partition instead.
>Take a separate partition and mount it everwhere you want.

You can mount a directory - its called a bind mount. Have a look at the
--bind option in the mount(8) man page.