-   -   network usage software on my gateway (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/268883-network-usage-software-my-gateway.html)

"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" 03-24-2009 06:28 AM

network usage software on my gateway

Hi,
We reached a point our internet connexion is overheaded.
We have about 20 workstations.
I would like to build some stats on the network consumption: HTTP, FTP,
Torrents, Instant messenging, whatever...
The goal is to find out first what kind of traffic is overheading the
connexion.

Thus, I look for a very good and clever software in order to detect traffic
kind. I would be only about detecting the working port, because MSN (for
example) can go through 80 port: I need the soft to detect it's an MSN
using 80.

What would be your advices?

--
Chef de projet chez Vectoris
Phone: +261 33 11 207 36

David Curtis 03-25-2009 11:25 AM

network usage software on my gateway

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:28:27 +0300
"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" <mihamina@lab.vectoris.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
> We reached a point our internet connexion is overheaded.
> We have about 20 workstations.
> I would like to build some stats on the network consumption: HTTP, FTP,
> Torrents, Instant messenging, whatever...
> The goal is to find out first what kind of traffic is overheading the
> connexion.
>
> Thus, I look for a very good and clever software in order to detect traffic
> kind. I would be only about detecting the working port, because MSN (for
> example) can go through 80 port: I need the soft to detect it's an MSN
> using 80.
>
> What would be your advices?

Since no one's replied yet, I'll make the suggestion of ntop. I don't think it will identify the actual application being used but it will output stats on port and protocol.

--
David Curtis <dcurtis@uniserve.com>

NoOp 03-25-2009 09:33 PM

On 03/24/2009 12:28 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Hi,
> We reached a point our internet connexion is overheaded.
> We have about 20 workstations.
> I would like to build some stats on the network consumption: HTTP, FTP,
> Torrents, Instant messenging, whatever...
> The goal is to find out first what kind of traffic is overheading the
> connexion.
>
> Thus, I look for a very good and clever software in order to detect traffic
> kind. I would be only about detecting the working port, because MSN (for
> example) can go through 80 port: I need the soft to detect it's an MSN
> using 80.
>
> What would be your advices?

Perhaps:

<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bprotocol+monit or>