-   -   broadcom 4311 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/268780-broadcom-4311-a.html)

Gary Kirkpatrick 03-23-2009 10:09 PM

broadcom 4311

I am having trouble getting my Broadcom 4312 to connect.* I downloaded the driver and the fwcutter and ran both.* I can ping the 4312 and the 4312 is listed as a device.* Any suggestions?**

Thanks

Gary

Dirk Freitag 03-23-2009 10:14 PM

broadcom 4311

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I am having trouble getting my Broadcom 4312 to connect. I downloaded
> the driver and the fwcutter and ran both. I can ping the 4312 and the
> 4312 is listed as a device. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>

> Gary

We will need a little more information on your situation to help you.
Did you just install Ubuntu? If so, did you hardwire to an Internet
connection and download all the updates for the new install? Also, if
you could give us any errors that you may be receiving that would be
helpful as well. Let us know.

--
Dirk Freitag
Linux Registered User Number 487244 [http://counter.li.org/]

Gary Kirkpatrick 03-23-2009 10:27 PM

broadcom 4311

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Dirk Freitag <unreal.linux@gmail.com> wrote:

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I am having trouble getting my Broadcom 4312 to connect. *I downloaded
> the driver and the fwcutter and ran both. *I can ping the 4312 and the
> 4312 is listed as a device. *Any suggestions?

> Thanks
>

> Gary

We will need a little more information on your situation to help you.
Did you just install Ubuntu? *If so, did you hardwire to an Internet

connection and download all the updates for the new install? *Also, if
you could give us any errors that you may be receiving that would be
helpful as well. *Let us know.

--
Dirk Freitag
Linux Registered User Number 487244 * * * * *[http://counter.li.org/]

I am installing Ubuntu for the first time on the HP.* It's on my Dell and works well.* I am leaving for Mexico tomorrow and will try to find a hardwire connection there but that will take a while.* SO if there are other alternatives to a hard wire connection that I can try this evening let me know.

*
Thanks for the prompt reply.
*
Gary

Dirk Freitag 03-23-2009 10:33 PM

broadcom 4311

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Dirk Freitag <unreal.linux@gmail.com
> <mailto:unreal.linux@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> > I am having trouble getting my Broadcom 4312 to connect. I
> downloaded
> > the driver and the fwcutter and ran both. I can ping the 4312
> and the
> > 4312 is listed as a device. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > Gary
> >

> We will need a little more information on your situation to help you.
> Did you just install Ubuntu? If so, did you hardwire to an Internet
> connection and download all the updates for the new install? Also, if
> you could give us any errors that you may be receiving that would be
> helpful as well. Let us know.
>

> --
> Dirk Freitag
> Linux Registered User Number 487244 [http://counter.li.org/]
>
> I am installing Ubuntu for the first time on the HP. It's on my Dell
> and works well. I am leaving for Mexico tomorrow and will try to find a
> hardwire connection there but that will take a while. SO if there are
> other alternatives to a hard wire connection that I can try this evening
> let me know.
>
> Thanks for the prompt reply.
>
> Gary

Unfortunately not. Your best bet at the very least would be to try to
hardwire to an internet connection and use the hardware drivers under
administration to download and install the drivers and fwcutter
automatically, but that generally doesn't work unless you have
downloaded updates. So either way, your best bet will be a hardwired
connection. Sorry.

Gary Kirkpatrick 03-23-2009 10:41 PM

broadcom 4311

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 6:33 PM, Dirk Freitag <unreal.linux@gmail.com> wrote:

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Dirk Freitag <unreal.linux@gmail.com

> <mailto:unreal.linux@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> * * Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> * * *> I am having trouble getting my Broadcom 4312 to connect. *I

> * * downloaded
> * * *> the driver and the fwcutter and ran both. *I can ping the 4312
> * * and the
> * * *> 4312 is listed as a device. *Any suggestions?
> * * *>
> * * *> Thanks

> * * *>
> * * *>
> * * *> Gary
> * * *>
>
> * * We will need a little more information on your situation to help you.
> * * Did you just install Ubuntu? *If so, did you hardwire to an Internet

> * * connection and download all the updates for the new install? *Also, if
> * * you could give us any errors that you may be receiving that would be
> * * helpful as well. *Let us know.
>

> * * --
> * * Dirk Freitag
> * * Linux Registered User Number 487244 * * * * *[http://counter.li.org/]
>
> I am installing Ubuntu for the first time on the HP. *It's on my Dell

> and works well. *I am leaving for Mexico tomorrow and will try to find a
> hardwire connection there but that will take a while. *SO if there are
> other alternatives to a hard wire connection that I can try this evening

> let me know.
>
> Thanks for the prompt reply.
>
> Gary

Unfortunately not. *Your best bet at the very least would be to try to
hardwire to an internet connection and use the hardware drivers under

administration to download and install the drivers and fwcutter
automatically, but that generally doesn't work unless you have
downloaded updates. *So either way, your best bet will be a hardwired
connection. *Sorry.

--
Dirk Freitag
Linux Registered User Number 487244 * * * * *[http://counter.li.org/]

*
Thanks- will get back to this when I can.* We are going to rent an apartment so if there is high speed (likely) and if it is wired then I'll be able to update ubuntu.
*
hasta luego
*
*
Gary

NoOp 03-23-2009 10:56 PM

broadcom 4311

On 03/23/2009 04:09 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I am having trouble getting my Broadcom 4312 to connect. I downloaded the
> driver and the fwcutter and ran both. I can ping the 4312 and the 4312 is
> listed as a device. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>

> Gary

If this is a new install (as you mentioned), you might have better luck
installing wicd instead of trying to get it to work with Network
Manager. If you had more time then I suggest troubleshooting the issue
(particularly since you can ping the device), but since you are looking
to get something up and running quickly I suggest wicd.

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php
[Installing Wicd in Ubuntu]

I'm assuming that you have installed intrepid, if so change from 'hardy' to:

deb http://apt.wicd.net intrepid extras

Don't forget to add the signing key:

$ wget -q http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

If wicd doesn't work for you (it should), you can always easily revert
back to Network Mangager.

Gary Kirkpatrick 03-23-2009 11:25 PM

broadcom 4311

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 6:56 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 03/23/2009 04:09 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I am having trouble getting my Broadcom 4312 to connect. *I downloaded the
> driver and the fwcutter and ran both. *I can ping the 4312 and the 4312 is

> listed as a device. *Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>

> Gary

If this is a new install (as you mentioned), you might have better luck
installing wicd instead of trying to get it to work with Network

Manager. If you had more time then I suggest troubleshooting the issue
(particularly since you can ping the device), but since you are looking
to get something up and running quickly I suggest wicd.

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

*http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php
*[Installing Wicd in Ubuntu]

I'm assuming that you have installed intrepid, if so change from 'hardy' to:

deb http://apt.wicd.net intrepid extras

Don't forget to add the signing key:

$ wget -q http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

If wicd doesn't work for you (it should), you can always easily revert
back to Network Mangager.

Not sure it I installed intrepid.* I used a cd I ordered a while back.* The cd I made from a download the first time I installed Ubuntu (on a Dell) I had problems with the cd and the install so I ordered a cd for the next time, which was just a few days ago after I bought the HP.* How do*I tell if I installed Intrepid?

*
Gary

Gary Kirkpatrick 03-23-2009 11:29 PM

broadcom 4311

My version is 8.04.* i looked up intrepid and it's 8.10 so my version is old and requires updating.

The Gamer's Federation Tech Support 03-23-2009 11:30 PM

broadcom 4311

I had this same problem and was able to solve it with the windows wireless
utility, compat-wireless driver, and activating the driver in the
proprietary drivers area of Hardware Drivers found in
system/administration

Hope this helps.

Jonathan

NoOp 03-24-2009 12:45 AM

broadcom 4311

On 03/23/2009 05:29 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> My version is 8.04. i looked up intrepid and it's 8.10 so my version is old
> and requires updating.

No. It isn't old, it is the LTS (Long Term Support) version & the same
that I run on nearly all of my systems. 8.04 (hardy) is just fine.
wicd will work just fine with that version as well & in fact I have a
broadcom card working on my laptop (hardy) with it.