Old 01-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Luca Ferrari

Default cdrom disappearing

Hi all,
I'm using ubuntu 7.04 on an hp compaq nx8430 laptop. Sometimes, after the
regular boot, I'm not able to access the cdrom (i.e., the device /dev/scd
does not exists), while after a reboot it appears again. Anyone knows where I
can search for to find a solution to this problem? I'm not able to understand
why and when it is disappearing....

Thanks,
Luca

Old 01-03-2008, 06:56 AM
Luca Ferrari

On Wednesday 2 January 2008 Pr Lidn's cat, walking on the keyboard, wrote:
> What happens if you eject the disc, and put it back again?

Nothing at all, even if I try to manually mount or to use k3b the result is
always that the device does not exists!

Luca

Old 01-03-2008, 11:44 AM
anthony baldwin

Luca Ferrari wrote:
> On Wednesday 2 January 2008 Pr Lidn's cat, walking on the keyboard, wrote:
>
>> What happens if you eject the disc, and put it back again?
>>

> Nothing at all, even if I try to manually mount or to use k3b the result is
> always that the device does not exists!
>
> Luca

Do y'all suppose his fstab or mtab cuold be missing an entry to his
cdrom drive?

/tony

--
http://www.BaldwinLinguas.com
Translation & Interpreting

http://www.LinguasOS.org - Linux for Translators

Old 01-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Corey Bettenhausen

Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm using ubuntu 7.04 on an hp compaq nx8430 laptop. Sometimes, after the
> regular boot, I'm not able to access the cdrom (i.e., the device /dev/scd
> does not exists), while after a reboot it appears again. Anyone knows where I
> can search for to find a solution to this problem? I'm not able to understand
> why and when it is disappearing....
I have a Compaq V4000 that does something similar. The OS (either Linux
or Windows) will not recognize the DVD drive unless there is a disk in
the drive at boot. I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software issue.
I've worked around it by simply rebooting whenever I needed to use the
drive. Luckily, I don't use the drive all that often...
-Corey

Old 01-07-2008, 10:32 AM
"Pr Lidn"

It is quite strange that it works sometimes, and other times not. I had a strange problem where the system would sometimes hang while logging in. I was able to workaround this by disabling hyperthreading in the bios. You could try disable hyperthreading, or dual-core functionality if you have that. If that helps, you could report this as a bug in launchpad.

Cheers
Pr

Old 01-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Luca Ferrari

On Thursday 3 January 2008 anthony baldwin's cat, walking on the keyboard,
wrote:
> Do y'all suppose his fstab or mtab cuold be missing an entry to his
> cdrom drive?

Uhm..not sure to understand what you mean. The fstab file is "static", and
thus reports the entry for /dev/scd each time the machine boots. What happens
is that the device disappears......I guess it is a problem with the hardware
recognition, but I'm sure the cdrom is working fine (each time I boot in
Windows I can see it, and each time I can see it in linux it works fine, both
in read/write).

Any idea?

Thanks,
Luca

Old 01-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Derek Broughton

Luca Ferrari wrote:

> On Thursday 3 January 2008 anthony baldwin's cat, walking on the keyboard,
> wrote:
>> Do y'all suppose his fstab or mtab cuold be missing an entry to his
>> cdrom drive?
>
> Uhm..not sure to understand what you mean. The fstab file is "static", and
> thus reports the entry for /dev/scd each time the machine boots. What
> happens is that the device disappears.....

Well, devices _always_ disappear. In days of yore, devices got created
in /dev and stayed there. Now udev creates them every time you boot. I'm
assuming that the device isn't disappearing except at boot time - but
that's not 100% certain from your post.

> .I guess it is a problem with
> the hardware recognition, but I'm sure the cdrom is working fine (each
> time I boot in Windows I can see it, and each time I can see it in linux
> it works fine, both in read/write).

I expect you're right. You might try:

# sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart

and see if hal finds it the next time it runs. You should copy the output
of "lsmod" while the device is missing, and compare it to the output from
lsmod when the device is present, and see what modules are missing.
--
derek

Old 01-16-2008, 06:53 AM
Luca Ferrari

On Monday 7 January 2008 Derek Broughton's cat, walking on the keyboard,
wrote:

> # sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart
>
> and see if hal finds it the next time it runs. You should copy the output
> of "lsmod" while the device is missing, and compare it to the output from
> lsmod when the device is present, and see what modules are missing.

It worked fine for a few days, and today the cdrom disappeared again. I've
tried to restart dbus but nothing changed. The following is the lsmod output
while the cdrom is missing:

Module Size Used by
appletalk 38316 2
ax25 56272 2
ipx 30116 2
p8023 3072 1 ipx
fglrx 540004 21
binfmt_misc 12680 1
rfcomm 40856 0
l2cap 25856 5 rfcomm
bluetooth 55908 4 rfcomm,l2cap
vmnet 39460 13
vmmon 113836 0
ppdev 10116 0
ipv6 269088 12
acpi_cpufreq 10056 0
cpufreq_powersave 2688 0
cpufreq_stats 7360 0
cpufreq_userspace 5408 0
cpufreq_ondemand 9228 2
cpufreq_conservative 8200 0
freq_table 5792 3 acpi_cpufreq,cpufreq_stats,cpufreq_ondemand
tc1100_wmi 8068 0
pcc_acpi 13184 0
sony_acpi 6284 0
dev_acpi 12292 0
video 16388 0
battery 10756 0
container 5248 0
sbs 15652 0
button 8720 0
i2c_ec 6016 1 sbs
i2c_core 22656 1 i2c_ec
dock 10268 0
ac 6020 0
asus_acpi 17308 0
backlight 7040 1 asus_acpi
af_packet 23816 0
deflate 4864 0
zlib_deflate 20504 1 deflate
twofish 9600 0
twofish_common 39552 1 twofish
serpent 19072 0
blowfish 10368 0
des 18432 0
cbc 5504 0
ecb 4480 0
blkcipher 6784 2 cbc,ecb
aes 28608 0
xcbc 6400 0
sha256 12032 0
sha1 3584 0
crypto_null 3584 0
af_key 37136 0
nls_iso8859_1 5120 5
nls_cp437 6784 5
vfat 14208 5
fat 53916 1 vfat
nls_utf8 3072 1
ntfs 107764 1
sbp2 23812 0
lp 12452 0
pcmcia 39212 0
ipw3945 118816 1
ieee80211 34760 1 ipw3945
ieee80211_crypt 7040 1 ieee80211
joydev 10816 0
snd_hda_intel 21912 1
snd_hda_codec 205056 1 snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm_oss 44544 0
snd_mixer_oss 17408 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 79876 3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy 4740 0
snd_seq_oss 32896 0
snd_seq_midi 9600 0
snd_rawmidi 25472 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 8448 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 52592 6
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
snd_timer 23684 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 9100 5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
pcspkr 4224 0
parport_pc 36388 1
psmouse 38920 0
yenta_socket 27532 1
iTCO_wdt 11812 0
iTCO_vendor_support 4868 1 iTCO_wdt
snd 54020 12
snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_ oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_ti mer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 8672 1 snd
sdhci 18700 0
tifm_7xx1 8704 0
serio_raw 7940 0
rsrc_nonstatic 14080 1 yenta_socket
shpchp 34324 0
tpm_infineon 9112 0
tpm 16672 1 tpm_infineon
tpm_bios 8448 1 tpm
mmc_core 26756 1 sdhci
tifm_core 11140 1 tifm_7xx1
parport 36936 3 ppdev,lp,parport_pc
generic 5124 0 [permanent]
pcmcia_core 40852 3 pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
pci_hotplug 32576 1 shpchp
intel_agp 26140 1
agpgart 35400 2 fglrx,intel_agp
snd_page_alloc 10888 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
tsdev 8768 0
evdev 11008 5
reiserfs 247680 6
sg 36252 0
sd_mod 23428 14
ata_piix 15492 0
usbhid 26592 0
hid 27392 1 usbhid
ohci1394 36528 0
ieee1394 299448 2 sbp2,ohci1394
ahci 22020 13
ata_generic 9092 0
libata 125720 3 ata_piix,ahci,ata_generic
scsi_mod 142348 4 sbp2,sg,sd_mod,libata
ehci_hcd 34188 0
tg3 109700 0
uhci_hcd 25360 0
usbcore 134280 4 usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
thermal 14856 1
processor 31048 2 acpi_cpufreq,thermal
fan 5636 1
capability 5896 0
commoncap 8192 1 capability
vesafb 9220 1
fbcon 42656 72
tileblit 3584 1 fbcon
font 9216 1 fbcon
bitblit 6912 1 fbcon
softcursor 3200 1 bitblit

and the following is the result of lspci:

[luca@fluca:~]$ sudo lspci
Password:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML and 945GT
Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML and 945GT
Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition
Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1
(rev 01)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2
(rev 01)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4
(rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #1
(rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #2
(rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #3
(rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #4
(rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI
Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge
(rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller
(rev 01)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial
ATA Storage Controller AHCI (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M56P [Radeon Mobility
X1600]
02:06.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
02:06.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE
1394 Host Controller
02:06.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card
Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)
02:06.3 Generic system peripheral [0805]: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 SDA
Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
02:06.4 Communication controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 GemCore based
SmartCard controller
08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5753M Gigabit
Ethernet PCI Express (rev 21)
10:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network
Connection (rev 02)

This is how lspci reports when the cdrom is present:

[...]

and this is how lsmod looks like:

[...]
smbfs 66040 4
nls_iso8859_1 5120 5
nls_cp437 6784 5
vfat 14208 5
fat 53916 1 vfat
nls_utf8 3072 1
ntfs 107764 1
sbp2 23812 0
lp 12452 0
[...]
sr_mod 17060 1
cdrom 37664 1 sr_mod
generic 5124 0 [permanent]
sg 36252 0
ata_piix 15492 4
sd_mod 23428 14
usbhid 26592 0
hid 27392 1 usbhid
ata_generic 9092 0
tg3 109700 0
ahci 22020 13
libata 125720 3 ata_piix,ata_generic,ahci
scsi_mod 142348 5 sbp2,sr_mod,sg,sd_mod,libata
ohci1394 36528 0
ieee1394 299448 2 sbp2,ohci1394
ehci_hcd 34188 0
uhci_hcd 25360 0
usbcore 134280 4 usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
thermal 14856 1
processor 31048 2 acpi_cpufreq,thermal
fan 5636 1
capability 5896 0
commoncap 8192 1 capability
vesafb 9220 1
fbcon 42656 72
tileblit 3584 1 fbcon
font 9216 1 fbcon
bitblit 6912 1 fbcon
softcursor 3200 1 bitblit

Any idea about this?

Thanks,
Luca

Old 01-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Derek Broughton

Luca Ferrari wrote:

> On Monday 7 January 2008 Derek Broughton's cat, walking on the keyboard,
> wrote:
>>
>> # sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart
>>
>> and see if hal finds it the next time it runs. You should copy the
>> output of "lsmod" while the device is missing, and compare it to the
>> output from lsmod when the device is present, and see what modules are
>> missing.
>
> It worked fine for a few days, and today the cdrom disappeared again. I've
> tried to restart dbus but nothing changed. The following is the lsmod
> output while the cdrom is missing:

> Any idea about this?

Yeah - diff the outputs and see what's changed.
--
derek