Old 01-01-2008, 11:14 PM

Default Writing a device driver

http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/

really good book

__________________________________ Ihr erstes Fernweh? Wo gibt es den schönsten Strand? www.yahoo.de/clever

Old 01-01-2008, 11:27 PM
"Anthony Papillion"

Thanks! Looks like exactly what I was looking for.

Anthony

Old 01-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Thomas Kaiser

Anthony Papillion wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm not sure this is the right place for this but I hope someone can
> point me in the right direction. I currently have an Acer laptop with an
> integrated webcam. There is no driver for this webcam and I'm seriously
> considering writing one. I'm a good C++ and Java coder and I'm sure I
> have the chops to do it. I've just never done it before. Can anyone
> point me to any helpful 'get started' tutorials for writing device
> drivers under linux?
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony

And take a look at gspca http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html

Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li

Old 01-02-2008, 01:53 PM
"Pär Lidén"

You might* also look at http://lwn.net/Kernel/, at 2.6 api changes. They cover every api change in the kernel since that book was released, and quite often has detailed articles about different parts of the kernel.

/Pär

Old 01-02-2008, 02:03 PM
"Pär Lidén"

Hmm, sorry for my maybe a bit confused message... ;-)

Old 01-07-2008, 10:44 AM
"Pär Lidén"

Hello, btw, have you checked this UIO (user-space drivers things out)? From what I've heard, kernel programming is significantly more difficult than user-lever programming. For example,you can't debug it normally with gdb, you can't use normal libraries, just the special in-kernel libraries, and memory management is harder also. By using this tool you only need to write a small portion in kernel-space, and can write the rest in user-space. Using C++ for the user-space would not be a problem here for instance.

Just a suggestion though, might be better to do it completely in kernel space.

Cheers
Pär

2008/1/2, Anthony Papillion <papillion@gmail.com