Old 11-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Derek Broughton

Default wwwh.found-not-help.com

OK, this is annoying the hell out of me.

In konqueror, sometimes dns lookups are failing - I think it's a problem
with my router configuration, but that isn't the issue - and then I
_always_ get redirected to wwwh.found-not-help.com! I would _far_ rather
get a generic "domain not found" message.

Can anyone say, is this happening in the Ubuntu resolver, Konqueror, or
<shudder> my ISP's DNS. Can anyone tell me how to find out?

fwiw, I can invariably back up one page and get the page I was looking for.
--
derek

Old 11-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Peter Garrett

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:42:11 -0400
Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Can anyone say, is this happening in the Ubuntu resolver, Konqueror, or
> <shudder> my ISP's DNS. Can anyone tell me how to find out?

I don't know the answer, but what I would try first is setting my DNS to
someone else - like opendns.

208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220

You can always change back if it doesn't work, or if you object to opendns
on principle, as some people do...

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 11-22-2007, 12:04 AM
"W.D.McKinney"

What does /etc/resolv.conf have in it ?

That would be the place to look first.

-Dee

Old 11-22-2007, 01:02 AM
NoOp

On 11/21/2007 03:42 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> OK, this is annoying the hell out of me.
>
> In konqueror, sometimes dns lookups are failing - I think it's a problem
> with my router configuration, but that isn't the issue - and then I
> _always_ get redirected to wwwh.found-not-help.com! I would _far_ rather
> get a generic "domain not found" message.
>
> Can anyone say, is this happening in the Ubuntu resolver, Konqueror, or
> <shudder> my ISP's DNS. Can anyone tell me how to find out?
>
> fwiw, I can invariably back up one page and get the page I was looking for.

Perhaps it's your isp?

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wwwh.found-not-help.com&btnG=Google+Search>

Old 11-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Derek Broughton

NoOp wrote:

> On 11/21/2007 03:42 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> OK, this is annoying the hell out of me.
>>
>> In konqueror, sometimes dns lookups are failing - I think it's a problem
>> with my router configuration, but that isn't the issue - and then I
>> _always_ get redirected to wwwh.found-not-help.com! I would _far_ rather
>> get a generic "domain not found" message.
>>
>> Can anyone say, is this happening in the Ubuntu resolver, Konqueror, or
>> <shudder> my ISP's DNS. Can anyone tell me how to find out?
>>
>> fwiw, I can invariably back up one page and get the page I was looking
>> for.
>
> Perhaps it's your isp?

I suspect you're right.

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wwwh.found-not-help.com&btnG=Google+Search>

Doh. Somebody forgot to google :-) Thanks, noop
--
derek

Old 11-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Derek Broughton

Peter Garrett wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:42:11 -0400
> Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone say, is this happening in the Ubuntu resolver, Konqueror, or
>> <shudder> my ISP's DNS. Can anyone tell me how to find out?
>
> I don't know the answer, but what I would try first is setting my DNS to
> someone else - like opendns.
>
> 208.67.222.222
> 208.67.220.220
>
> You can always change back if it doesn't work, or if you object to opendns
> on principle, as some people do...

Hmmm. That's interesting. I was thinking I couldn't do that. I have
routers within routers but the one connected directly to the internet has a
caching DNS built in - and I can't touch it. There's really no reason I
can't have the wireless router - through which everybody connects - go
through openDNS, though. Definitely worth a try.

fwiw, what prinicple do people find objectionable about openDNS?
--
derek

Old 11-22-2007, 02:48 PM
Derek Broughton

W.D.McKinney wrote:

> What does /etc/resolv.conf have in it ?
>
> That would be the place to look first.

_That_ has 192.168.100.1, of course :-)

That address is my wireless router - _it_ is getting addresses from the
satellite modem, and _that's_ getting addresses from the ISP's DNS. Too
damn many levels of DNS (though I need _one_ of the routers to be caching
them, as you don't want to make more requests via the satellite than
necessary - that's a 500 millisecond latency).
--
derek

Old 11-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Derek Broughton

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Peter Garrett wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:42:11 -0400
>> Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Can anyone say, is this happening in the Ubuntu resolver, Konqueror, or
>>> <shudder> my ISP's DNS. Can anyone tell me how to find out?
>>
>> I don't know the answer, but what I would try first is setting my DNS to
>> someone else - like opendns.
>>
>> 208.67.222.222
>> 208.67.220.220
>>
>> You can always change back if it doesn't work, or if you object to
>> opendns on principle, as some people do...
>
> Hmmm. That's interesting. I was thinking I couldn't do that. I have
> routers within routers but the one connected directly to the internet has
> caching DNS built in - and I can't touch it. There's really no reason I
> can't have the wireless router - through which everybody connects - go
> through openDNS, though. Definitely worth a try.
>
> fwiw, what prinicple do people find objectionable about openDNS?

Damn. May not be able to do this after all. Noop pointed to google, and
one of the top items there is about HughesNet (indirectly who I use) & the
modem seems to redirect _any_ DNS traffic to Hughes IPs. We'll see - there
seems to be a workaround.
--
derek

Old 11-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Peter Garrett

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 11:44:02 -0400
Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> fwiw, what prinicple do people find objectionable about openDNS?

Some discussion of the setup here:

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/07/71345

Some people thought it was Verisign's "Site Finder" all over again...

I used OpenDNS for a while, and didn't find the occasional ad when I typed
the wrong thing objectionable.

YMMV, as the cliché goes :-)

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 11-23-2007, 03:32 AM
"W.D.McKinney"

> fwiw, what prinicple do people find objectionable about openDNS?

Some discussion of the setup here:

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/07/71345

Some people thought it was Verisign's "Site Finder" all over again...

I used OpenDNS for a while, and didn't find the occasional ad when I typed

the wrong thing objectionable.

YMMV, as the cliché goes :-)

Peter

-
We use djbdns as it doesn't need continual updates like bind and the others.

-Dee