Old 01-01-2008, 01:21 PM
"Goudar Vishwanathappa Manu"

Default wireless card not detected in Gusty Gibbon

hi all,
I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on Compaq presarion 3133AU. Wireless card BCM
4310UART was not detected. Output of $lspci | grep "4310" gave no
results. Is my hardware not detected or is it a bug in ubuntu 7.10.
Can please help me in this problem.
thanks in advance.

Cheers
--
G V Manu

Old 01-01-2008, 02:16 PM
"Raseel Bhagat"

Hi Goudar,

I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on Compaq presarion 3133AU. Wireless card BCM
4310UART was not detected. Output of $lspci | grep "4310" gave no
results. Is my hardware not detected or is it a bug in ubuntu
7.10.

You need the bcm43xx driver and possibly use of fwcutter* for the wireless card to work.
do the following :
$lsmod | grep bcm

See if you can see the bcm43xx driver

Also google ( or just search in
ubuntuforums.org) for " bcm43xx fwcutter "

Thanks,
Raseel

Old 01-01-2008, 03:37 PM
"Goudar Vishwanathappa Manu"

> You need the bcm43xx driver and possibly use of fwcutter for the wireless
> card to work.
In previous releases Feisty and Edgy I got my wireless card working
and the output of
$lspci | grep "broadcom"
i was to get a "network controller Broadcom BCM 4310 UART" but with
Gusty i don't find that. I don't get any output.

> do the following :
> $lsmod | grep bcm
I don't get any output.

> Also google ( or just search in ubuntuforums.org) for " bcm43xx fwcutter "
I tried googling I could not find any problems similar to mine.

Cheers
--
G V Manu

Old 01-02-2008, 01:25 AM
Derek Broughton

Raseel Bhagat wrote:

> Hi Goudar,
>
> On Jan 1, 2008 7:51 PM, Goudar Vishwanathappa Manu <manu.gvm@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> hi all,
>> I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on Compaq presarion 3133AU. Wireless card BCM
>> 4310UART was not detected. Output of $lspci | grep "4310" gave no
>> results. Is my hardware not detected or is it a bug in ubuntu 7.10.
>>

> You need the bcm43xx driver and possibly use of fwcutter for the wireless
> card to work.

or ndiswrapper. I find it simpler, but (a) it doesn't always have all the
features of native drivers, and (b) some people have philosophical problems
with using the Windows drivers.
--
derek

Old 01-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Derek Broughton

Goudar Vishwanathappa Manu wrote:

>> You need the bcm43xx driver and possibly use of fwcutter for the
>> wireless card to work.
> In previous releases Feisty and Edgy I got my wireless card working
> and the output of
> $lspci | grep "broadcom"

It would almost certainly have a capital B, so why don't you just do "lspci"
and look for yourself?
--
derek

Old 01-02-2008, 02:13 PM
"Pr Lidn"

I heard that the support in linux for bcm43xx cards is quite bad currently. Ubuntu 8.04, with kernel updated to 2.6.24, is said to be better (according to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Hardy/KernelVersion
). Probably you'd have to wait till then to get full support for your card.

/Pr

2008/1/2, Derek Broughton <

Old 01-02-2008, 03:36 PM
"Goudar Vishwanathappa Manu"

> It would almost certainly have a capital B, so why don't you just do "lspci"
> and look for yourself?
I did that also I didn't find it

--
G V Manu

Old 01-02-2008, 08:16 PM
"Pr Lidn"

grep -i does case independent search, might be useful for you when grepping for things. So grep -i broadcom would find all lines containg both Broadcom, broadCom, brOadcoM, and so on. So, you could also try lspci |grep -i bcm, might help. And, you don't need the " if it's just at single word, ie instead of grep "broadcom", grep broadcom can be used. Hope this is more help than it confuses you... ;-)

/Pr

Old 01-02-2008, 08:26 PM
"Pr Lidn"

Also, have you tried sudo modprobe bcm43xx? It could be of some help.

If nothing helps, you could try searching launchpad if there is someone who has already reported a bug like this. Maybe they have also posted some workaround there. If it worked with earlier versions, it is most certainly a bug. Try searching there for broadcom, bcm, bcm43xx and so on. If you don't find any suitable bug, it'd be of help to the quality of Ubuntu if you reported this as a new bug. If you wish do so, the developers would be glad if you read through things like these first:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProcedures
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeamBugPolicies

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/

and links from* those pages. Don't be surprised if it takes a long time before they answer, they are overwhelmed with bugreports, and has a lot of work to do.

Hope it could be of some help.

/pr

Old 01-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Derek Broughton

Pr Lidn wrote:

> grep -i does case independent search,

??? I hate when that happens - do you know how many times I've constructed
really awkward grep strings because it never actually occurred to me to
check if it could do a case-independent search! Thanks Pr
--
derek