-   -   Combine .ts files (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/26191-combine-ts-files.html)

Padraig 01-01-2008 12:45 PM

Combine .ts files

I'm just wondering how one combines these files into one larger file.* The command line would be preferable.

Nicolai Spohrer 01-01-2008 01:28 PM

Combine .ts files

thomas fisher 01-01-2008 02:41 PM

Combine .ts files

On Tuesday 01 January 2008 06:45:03 Padraig wrote:
> I'm just wondering how one combines these files into one larger file. The
> command line would be preferable.

The " >> " at the command level will normally append to an output file.
example:
:~$ cat >> /home/tom/test
This is the first line

[1]+ Stopped cat >> /home/tom/test
:~$ cat >> /home/tom/test
This the second line.

[2]+ Stopped cat >> /home/tom/test
:~$ cat /home/tom/test
This is the first line
This the second line.

Tom

Kenneth Loafman 01-03-2008 10:31 PM

Combine .ts files

thomas fisher wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 January 2008 06:45:03 Padraig wrote:
>> I'm just wondering how one combines these files into one larger file. The
>> command line would be preferable.
>
> The " >> " at the command level will normally append to an output file.
> example:
> :~$ cat >> /home/tom/test
> This is the first line
>
> [1]+ Stopped cat >> /home/tom/test
> :~$ cat >> /home/tom/test
> This the second line.
>
> [2]+ Stopped cat >> /home/tom/test
> :~$ cat /home/tom/test
> This is the first line
> This the second line.

I did a double-take when I saw your example. If you issue the script
above, then do a 'ps', you will see two cat processes suspended. It
looks like you're using a ^Z instead of a ^D as EOF. ^Z suspends the
current foreground job, i.e. cat, where ^D is End-Of-File. You've
confused Windows and Linux.

...Ken

thomas fisher 01-04-2008 03:57 AM

Combine .ts files

On Thursday 03 January 2008 16:31:27 Kenneth Loafman wrote:
> thomas fisher wrote:
> > On Tuesday 01 January 2008 06:45:03 Padraig wrote:
> >> I'm just wondering how one combines these files into one larger file.
> >> The command line would be preferable.
> >
> > The " >> " at the command level will normally append to an output file.
> >
> > example:
> > :~$ cat >> /home/tom/test
> >
> > This is the first line
> >
> > [1]+ Stopped cat >> /home/tom/test
> >
> > :~$ cat >> /home/tom/test
> >
> > This the second line.
> >
> > [2]+ Stopped cat >> /home/tom/test
> >
> > :~$ cat /home/tom/test
> >
> > This is the first line
> > This the second line.
>
> I did a double-take when I saw your example. If you issue the script
> above, then do a 'ps', you will see two cat processes suspended. It
> looks like you're using a ^Z instead of a ^D as EOF. ^Z suspends the
> current foreground job, i.e. cat, where ^D is End-Of-File. You've
> confused Windows and Linux.
>
> ...Ken

Thanks Ken
Good eye and a good reminder why I need lists like this. I live and pretty
much work and use Linux with no one looking over my shoulder except when
things just do not function. And as much as I would like to blame it on
MSDOS, that has been years ago.
Tom