Old 03-12-2009, 07:19 AM
David Curtis

Default Ubuntu 8.10 server doesn't boot into GDM / X yet starts manually fine

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:47:28 -0700
Daevid Vincent <daevid@daevid.com> wrote:

> I posted this the other day but feel it might have been lost as sunday
> evenings are not the best time to post it seems...

Well, if no one has responded, let this amateur take a guess.

The above behavior sounds correct. Xorg is run as user, while GDM needs root. (I'm guessing that you really use 'sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start'.)

I don't know what to edit in the init scripts. But if you're getting to the desktop there should be an Applications->System->Services with a check box for GDM/XDM.

If that's not going to do it for you, you can always go to the nearest desktop install and diff the relative scripts/dir.

HTH

--
David Curtis <dcurtis@uniserve.com>