-   -   WiFi problems... (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/261709-wifi-problems.html)

Leonard Chatagnier 03-12-2009 02:56 AM

WiFi problems...

--- On Wed, 3/11/09, Roy Smith <rasmith1959@gmail.com> wrote:
From: Roy Smith <rasmith1959@gmail.com>
Subject: WiFi problems...
To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 9:32 PM

> Hi! I'm new to Ubuntu and I'm having
> problems with my WiFi adapter.
> It's a Belkin F5D7050 Wireless G USB adapter. The problem is that it
> works for just a few minutes, then
> quits. At that point I either have
> to reboot, or unplug the adapter and
> plug it back in again to get it
> to work for a few more minutes. Gets
> frustrating when that happens.
> Any suggestions on what I need to do to > get this thing working
> reliably? Please keep in mind that
> you're dealing with a complete
> newbie to Linux, but I have lots of
> experience with Windows...

I suppose you are using "network manager" in gnome or manually setting up with /etc/network/interfaces for you wifi. Most people have better luck, IMO, using wicd for wifi setup and is what I use now.
Suggest you give it a try. It will remove network magager and maybe some more programs when you install wicd.
To install it you need:

http://apt.wicd.net intrepid/extras Packages (all one line)

In you sources.list as it's not in the regular repos. Install if from synaptic or other gui or from the CLI with:

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install wicd.

Let the list know if you have any problems installing or setting up wicd. BTW, before we start seeing a bunch of rebuttals about wicd, it is not entirely trouble free but for me and many others, it just works and is much more stable than network manager.

Leonard Chatagnier

lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Raquel 03-12-2009 03:14 AM

WiFi problems...

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 21:32:09 -0500
Roy Smith <rasmith1959@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi! I'm new to Ubuntu and I'm having problems with my WiFi adapter.
> It's a Belkin F5D7050 Wireless G USB adapter. The problem is that
> it works for just a few minutes, then quits. At that point I
> either have to reboot, or unplug the adapter and plug it back in
> again to get it to work for a few more minutes. Gets frustrating
> when that happens. Any suggestions on what I need to do to get this
> thing working reliably? Please keep in mind that you're dealing
> with a complete newbie to Linux, but I have lots of experience with
> Windows...
>

> - --
>
> Roy Smith

I have two things to check, because I just went through getting my
laptop setup with wifi.

The first thing that I had to fix was the firewall. My firewall was
not letting any traffic through and so the connection was timing out.

The next thing to do is to install WICD. Installing WICD got rid of
all my network problems. Installing WICD will remove network-manager
for you. The directions for installing WICD can be found on their
web site: www.wicd.net

--
Raquel
http://www.byraquel.com

Roy Smith 03-12-2009 04:44 AM

WiFi problems...

*

wrote:

> From: Roy Smith <rasmith1959@gmail.com>

> Subject: WiFi problems...

> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

> Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 9:32 PM

>*

>> Hi!* I'm new to Ubuntu and I'm having

>> problems with my WiFi adapter.

>> It's a Belkin F5D7050 Wireless G USB adapter.* The problem
is that it

>> works for just a few minutes, then

>> quits.* At that point I either have

>> to reboot, or unplug the adapter and

>> plug it back in again to get it

>> to work for a few more minutes.* Gets

>> frustrating when that happens.

>> Any suggestions on what I need to do to > get this thing
working

>> reliably?* Please keep in mind that

>> you're dealing with a complete

>> newbie to Linux, but I have lots of

>> experience with Windows...

> I suppose you are using "network manager" in gnome or manually
setting up with /etc/network/interfaces for you wifi.* Most people
have better luck, IMO, using wicd for wifi setup and is what I use
now.

> Suggest you give it a try.* It will remove network magager and
maybe some more programs when you install wicd.

> To install it you need:

> http://apt.wicd.net intrepid/extras Packages (all one line)

> In you sources.list as it's not in the regular repos.* Install
if from synaptic or other gui or from the CLI with:

> sudo aptitude update

> sudo aptitude install wicd.

> Let the list know if you have any problems installing or setting
up wicd. BTW, before we start seeing a bunch of rebuttals about wicd,
it is not entirely trouble free but for me and many others, it just
works and is much more stable than network manager.

Ok I'll give that a shot.* Should have mentioned that I was using the

Hardy Heron V8.04 version of Ubuntu, but I'm in the process right now

of updating to the 8.10 version.* If I still have problems after the

upgrade I'll give wicd a try.* I'll post an update when I'm done.

- --

Roy Smith

http://roysmith1959.spaces.live.com/

Windows XP Professional SP3

Leonard Chatagnier 03-12-2009 10:54 PM

WiFi problems...

> Ok I'll give that a shot. Should have mentioned that I
> was using the
> Hardy Heron V8.04 version of Ubuntu, but I'm in the
> process right now
> of updating to the 8.10 version. If I still have problems
> after the
> upgrade I'll give wicd a try. I'll post an update
> when I'm done.

Let me add that I'm one of those who had problems with network manager on both hardy and intrepid with my wifi card and wicd worked for me in both. However, I have no experience or insight with the Belkin adapters. YMMV, don't forget to google for the Belkin card and good luck.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Roy Smith 03-13-2009 02:27 AM

WiFi problems...

wrote:

> From: Roy Smith <rasmith1959@gmail.com>

> Subject: WiFi problems...

> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

> Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 9:32 PM

>*

>> Hi!* I'm new to Ubuntu and I'm having

>> problems with my WiFi adapter.

>> It's a Belkin F5D7050 Wireless G USB adapter.* The problem
is that it

>> works for just a few minutes, then

>> quits.* At that point I either have

>> to reboot, or unplug the adapter and

>> plug it back in again to get it

>> to work for a few more minutes.* Gets

>> frustrating when that happens.

>> Any suggestions on what I need to do to > get this thing
working

>> reliably?* Please keep in mind that

>> you're dealing with a complete

>> newbie to Linux, but I have lots of

>> experience with Windows...

> I suppose you are using "network manager" in gnome or manually
setting up with /etc/network/interfaces for you wifi.* Most people
have better luck, IMO, using wicd for wifi setup and is what I use
now.

> Suggest you give it a try.* It will remove network magager and
maybe some more programs when you install wicd.

> To install it you need:

> http://apt.wicd.net intrepid/extras Packages (all one line)

> In you sources.list as it's not in the regular repos.* Install
if from synaptic or other gui or from the CLI with:

> sudo aptitude update

> sudo aptitude install wicd.

> Let the list know if you have any problems installing or setting
up wicd. BTW, before we start seeing a bunch of rebuttals about wicd,
it is not entirely trouble free but for me and many others, it just
works and is much more stable than network manager.

*** As promised, here's an update on how things went.* Upgrading to

Intrepid didn't help at all, in fact it killed my WiFi and couldn't

connect at all.* Reverting back to Heron and installing wicd didn't

help either.* Had the same problem with it as before.* I had

downloaded the Live-CD ISO for Intrepid, so I've had plenty of

practice installing Ubuntu....* :-)

Just on a whim I decided to put the Live-CD in my laptop, an lo and

behold the WiFi works on it.* I had tried before to get Heron working

on this HP Compac nx6325 with the Broadcom 802.11 card but didn't have

any luck.* Though with Intrepid it's working perfectly...* So now I'm

happy for the moment... at least until I do something stupid and hose

the system.* ;-)

Raquel 03-13-2009 02:42 PM

WiFi problems...

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 22:27:29 -0500
Roy Smith <rasmith1959@gmail.com> wrote:

> As promised, here's an update on how things went. Upgrading to
> Intrepid didn't help at all, in fact it killed my WiFi and couldn't
> connect at all. Reverting back to Heron and installing wicd didn't
> help either. Had the same problem with it as before. I had
> downloaded the Live-CD ISO for Intrepid, so I've had plenty of
> practice installing Ubuntu.... :-)
>
> Just on a whim I decided to put the Live-CD in my laptop, an lo and
> behold the WiFi works on it. I had tried before to get Heron
> working on this HP Compac nx6325 with the Broadcom 802.11 card but
> didn't have any luck. Though with Intrepid it's working
> perfectly... So now I'm happy for the moment... at least until I
> do something stupid and hose the system. ;-)

This was something that I forgot to mention with Intrepid on my
laptop. I had to go back from the -11 kernel to the -9 kernel.

--
Raquel
http://www.byraquel.com

Derek Broughton 03-13-2009 06:54 PM

WiFi problems...

Roy Smith wrote:

> Just on a whim I decided to put the Live-CD in my laptop, an lo and
> behold the WiFi works on it. I had tried before to get Heron working
> on this HP Compac nx6325 with the Broadcom 802.11 card but didn't have
> any luck. Though with Intrepid it's working perfectly...

You probably got completely new drivers. The old ones, iirc, were
blacklisted in the Intrepid install.
--
derek