Old 01-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Bart Silverstrim

Default VMWare and iPod question

I'm trying to use VMWare Server with Ubuntu as a host and Windows XP as
the guest to access an iPod Nano with iTunes.

I can manage to get the iPod visible to the guest via the USB port.

When I try the iPod restore (it is currently Mac-formatted), the guest
blue screens. The first time Windows/iTunes downloaded the 1.1.3
software for the Nano, then blue screened just as it tried accessing the
iPod. The second time iTunes extracted the 1.1.3 software it previously
downloaded then as it tried accessing the Nano it blue screened again,
leaving the Nano in a state where it was requesting a restore and was
unusable until I did that.

Anyone use VMWare to manage an iPod?

-Bart

Old 01-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Jad Madi

not sure about Vmware guest but it works fine with Virtualbox guest XP,
in fact it works out of the box.

--
Your Freedom is worth more than you think. Take advantage of it while
you can.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Jad Madi wrote:
> not sure about Vmware guest but it works fine with Virtualbox guest XP,
> in fact it works out of the box.

I googled a bit about ipod use and virtualization, and saw that there
(was some?) trouble with virtualbox and iPods, something about USB
issues. Must be the issues had been recently fixed...?

You have no issues using a Nano with VB, the restore and keeping in sync?

Old 01-01-2008, 04:57 PM
"John DeCarlo"