Old 03-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Josef Wolf

Default How to generate printer ppd for cups?

Hello,

I'd like to know how the cups-gutenprint drivers are created. When I
install a printer with system-config-printer.py, I get a ppd which
seems to be auto-generated. At least, I can't find any file in
/usr/share/ppd with the same NickName as the file that gets installed
into /etc/cups/ppds. For example, I'd like to install this driver:

"HP LaserJet 4 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.0-rc1"

Since I have to configure lots of boxes, running system-config-printer.py
interactively on every box is no option for me. Ideally, I'd
run a script, that takes the required information on the command line
instead of letting me enter interactively into the GUI.

On other distros, I can install some package that contain the desired
PPDs, so I can simply give the desired ppd as command line argument
to lpadmin. Am I really forced to use this GUI crap in ubuntu?