Old 03-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Stephen Constantinou

Default Do Menu Editor and Shell need different commands?

Dear All

As part of wanting to mount the ntfs partition of my dual boot pc I
looked at doing this manually in a shell:
"sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/xp -t ntfs -o umask=0002,nls=utf8"
and unmounting as well
"sudo umount /mnt/xp"
Both work.

Then I tried to include them in the Menu options. I put the same two
commands into two new items in the menu editor, but they do not work.
Both had "enable launch feedback" ticked.

I think the reason is that while the shell would rightly prompt me for a
password for the user, I do not get to see or input this password when
it is run from the Menu command.

Currently I mount this partition at boot up. I am hoping to be able to
unmount it using a Menu command, after I have done certain things and
have the option to easily mount it again via the Menu if need be.

But is this possible?

Any advice or suggestions welcome.

Stephen

Old 03-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Brian McKee

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Stephen Constantinou
<stephanos@writeme.com> wrote:
> I think the reason is that while the shell would rightly prompt me for a
> password for the user, I do not get to see or input this password when
> it is run from the Menu command.

To do the same in a GUI - use gksu instead of sudo

But can't you just put it in the fstab so it mounts on start up, then
unmount it via right click when you don't want it anymore?

Brian

Old 03-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Nils Kassube

Stephen Constantinou wrote:
> As part of wanting to mount the ntfs partition of my dual boot pc I
> looked at doing this manually in a shell:
> "sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/xp -t ntfs -o umask=0002,nls=utf8"
> and unmounting as well
> "sudo umount /mnt/xp"
> Both work.
>
> Then I tried to include them in the Menu options. I put the same two
> commands into two new items in the menu editor, but they do not work.

Use "gksu" instead of "sudo". Or if you don't use GNOME but KDE,
use "kdesudo" instead.

Nils

Old 03-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Stephen Constantinou

Brian McKee wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Stephen Constantinou
> <stephanos@writeme.com> wrote:
>> I think the reason is that while the shell would rightly prompt me for a
>> password for the user, I do not get to see or input this password when
>> it is run from the Menu command.
>
> To do the same in a GUI - use gksu instead of sudo
>
> But can't you just put it in the fstab so it mounts on start up, then
> unmount it via right click when you don't want it anymore?
>
> Brian

Dear All

Thanks for all the replies. I cannot test them all but I did test an
off list suggestion that left me a bit embarrassed - it was such a
simple solution.

Back in Menu editor, select the Advanced tab and put a tick in Run in
Terminal. A shell opens with a prompt to enter the password, I enter it
and the mounting or unmounting is performed. I worked through this afew
times and there are no issues I can see.

Now the partition is mounted at start up via fsab. I can unmount it
from the menu. If I want it mounted again I have a menu option.

Brian - I would like to unmount via a right click, but in Konqueror at
least a right click does not give me that option. I am very interested
in your solution. Can you tell me more?

Thanks all

Stephen