FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-11-2009, 04:25 PM
"David M. Karr"
 
Default Adding apps to startup could be made easier

Several times I've run into a similar scenario:

I discover an application I want to install, so I go to "Add/Remove",
find it, then install it.

I can now see it in the "Applications" menu, although it just shows me
the "displayable" name of the application, not the full path to the
application.

Now, one of the installed applications needs to go into my session
startup. The dialog to add a startup application doesn't allow me to
browse through the installed applications, all I can do is enter a full
path to an executable.

There's a disconnect here. Either the applications menu needs to
provide a "Properties" item that shows the full path to the application,
or the "Add Startup Program" dialog needs to allow selection of an
application from the Applications menu. I could see adding both of
these. The latter is friendlier to less experienced users. The former
is more general-purpose.

I'd be willing to file an issue for this, after I get some feedback on this.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Brian McKee
 
Default Adding apps to startup could be made easier

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:25 PM, David M. Karr
<davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Several times I've run into a similar scenario:
>
> I discover an application I want to install, so I go to "Add/Remove",
> find it, then install it.

> Now, one of the installed applications needs to go into my session
> startup. *The dialog to add a startup application doesn't allow me to
> browse through the installed applications, all I can do is enter a full
> path to an executable.

> I'd be willing to file an issue for this, after I get some feedback on this.

The 'remember currently running applications' button in Preferences -> Sessions
on the third tab helps with that. I'm not sure if it adds programs to
your start up,
or replaces your start up with what's currently running.

It's not very intuitive perhaps....

Brian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Mario Vukelic
 
Default Adding apps to startup could be made easier

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 16:32 -0400, Brian McKee wrote:
> The 'remember currently running applications' button in Preferences ->
> Sessions on the third tab helps with that.

Which does not work in 8.10, because gnome-session currently is
broken


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Mario Vukelic
 
Default Adding apps to startup could be made easier

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 22:23 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> Which does not work in 8.10, because gnome-session currently is
> broken

Before I get irate replies I'd better phrase that differently:
technically, gnome-session is not broken, it just changed the protocol
and most (all?) applications did not follow yet. So in practice session
saving in Gnome is broken.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default Adding apps to startup could be made easier

David M. Karr wrote:

> There's a disconnect here. Either the applications menu needs to
> provide a "Properties" item that shows the full path to the application,
> or the "Add Startup Program" dialog needs to allow selection of an
> application from the Applications menu. I could see adding both of
> these. The latter is friendlier to less experienced users. The former
> is more general-purpose.
>
> I'd be willing to file an issue for this, after I get some feedback on
> this.

I think they're both good ideas, but you missed a third option - why can't
the context menu for applications offer a "add to startup programs" option?
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Brian McKee
 
Default Adding apps to startup could be made easier

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> David M. Karr wrote:
>
>> There's a disconnect here. *Either the applications menu needs to
>> provide a "Properties" item that shows the full path to the application,
>> or the "Add Startup Program" dialog needs to allow selection of an
>> application from the Applications menu. *I could see adding both of
>> these. *The latter is friendlier to less experienced users. *The former
>> is more general-purpose.
>>
>> I'd be willing to file an issue for this, after I get some feedback on
>> this.
>
> I think they're both good ideas, but you missed a third option - why can't
> the context menu for applications offer a "add to startup programs" option?

a lå OSX ? Yep - that is the nicest option I think.

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/10895/

Brian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-12-2009, 08:08 PM
NoOp
 
Default Adding apps to startup could be made easier

On 03/11/2009 10:25 AM, David M. Karr wrote:
> Several times I've run into a similar scenario:
>
> I discover an application I want to install, so I go to "Add/Remove",
> find it, then install it.
>
> I can now see it in the "Applications" menu, although it just shows me
> the "displayable" name of the application, not the full path to the
> application.

Not all menu items will have a full path, but an quick and easy way to
see what the properties are (rather than having to wait for the Edit
Menu to grind itself into motion) is to go to the menu icon, right click
and 'Add this launcher to panel'. Then right click the icon on the panel
and select 'Properties'. In the 'Command' section you'll either see a
full path w/command, or in many cases just a system command ('ooffice
-writer %U' for example). When finished just remove the icon from the panel.

>
> Now, one of the installed applications needs to go into my session
> startup. The dialog to add a startup application doesn't allow me to
> browse through the installed applications, all I can do is enter a full
> path to an executable.

Cut&Paste the information from the 'Command' section above.

>
> There's a disconnect here. Either the applications menu needs to
> provide a "Properties" item that shows the full path to the application,
> or the "Add Startup Program" dialog needs to allow selection of an
> application from the Applications menu. I could see adding both of
> these. The latter is friendlier to less experienced users. The former
> is more general-purpose.
>
> I'd be willing to file an issue for this, after I get some feedback on this.
>

I agree that the above is a 'workaround'.

You may find this of interest/irritation if you are using Intrepid:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/249373
[gnome-session storing broken in intrepid]

As for filing a bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/140918>
[Adding stuff to autostart is too difficult]
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=478806



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-13-2009, 01:01 AM
Florian Diesch
 
Default Adding apps to startup could be made easier

"David M. Karr" <davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com> wrote:

> I discover an application I want to install, so I go to "Add/Remove",
> find it, then install it.
>
> I can now see it in the "Applications" menu, although it just shows me
> the "displayable" name of the application, not the full path to the
> application.
>
> Now, one of the installed applications needs to go into my session
> startup. The dialog to add a startup application doesn't allow me to
> browse through the installed applications, all I can do is enter a full
> path to an executable.

You can drag&drop an item from the start menu into the list of start programs.

> There's a disconnect here. Either the applications menu needs to
> provide a "Properties" item that shows the full path to the application,
> or the "Add Startup Program" dialog needs to allow selection of an
> application from the Applications menu. I could see adding both of
> these. The latter is friendlier to less experienced users. The former
> is more general-purpose.
>
> I'd be willing to file an issue for this, after I get some feedback on this.

Adding a "Properties" item to the context menu seems like a good
idea to me.



Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-13-2009, 01:39 AM
NoOp
 
Default Adding apps to startup could be made easier

On 03/12/2009 07:01 PM, Florian Diesch wrote:
> "David M. Karr" <davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I discover an application I want to install, so I go to "Add/Remove",
>> find it, then install it.
>>
>> I can now see it in the "Applications" menu, although it just shows me
>> the "displayable" name of the application, not the full path to the
>> application.
>>
>> Now, one of the installed applications needs to go into my session
>> startup. The dialog to add a startup application doesn't allow me to
>> browse through the installed applications, all I can do is enter a full
>> path to an executable.
>
> You can drag&drop an item from the start menu into the list of start programs.

Can you explain how? For instance whenever I turn on my system in the
morning I always open Nautilus & 2 other apps; I open
System|Preferences|Sessions|Startup Programs, I then open
Applications|Accessories & try to drag & drop 'File Browser' to the
'Startup Programs' and it doesn't work (both on Hardy and Intrepid). So
if you can point the proper way to do this I'd also appreciate the advice.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-13-2009, 02:19 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"
 
Default Adding apps to startup could be made easier

NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> said:
> Not all menu items will have a full path, but an quick and easy way to
> see what the properties are (rather than having to wait for the Edit
> Menu to grind itself into motion) is to go to the menu icon, right
> click and 'Add this launcher to panel'. Then right click the icon on
> the panel and select 'Properties'. In the 'Command' section you'll
> either see a full path w/command, or in many cases just a system
> command ('ooffice -writer %U' for example). When finished just remove
> the icon from the panel.

Doesn't <which> do that?

cybe@WizardsTower:~$ man which
WHICH(1)

NAME
which - locate a command

SYNOPSIS
which [-a] filename ...

DESCRIPTION
which returns the pathnames of the files which would be
executed in the current environment, had its arguments been given as
commands in a strictly POSIX-conformant shell. It does this by
searching the PATH for executable files matching the names of the
arguments.

OPTIONS
-a print all matching pathnames of each argument

EXIT STATUS
0 if all specified commands are found and executable

1 if one or more specified commands is nonexistent or not
executable

2 if an invalid option is specified

Debian 12 Jul
2004 WHICH(1) Manual page
which(1) line 1/28 (END)


Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
"The Barsoom Project"

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:18 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org