Old 03-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Default Laptop locks up

I have a friend that is running 8.04 on a Dell Precision M2300. He tried
using 8.10 on it, but said that it would lock up tight at random time
intervals. He said the logs were empty of errors from the time of the
freezes, pointer locked, keyboard, etc...nothing responded. Not even
connecting remotely from another system into the laptop would work, so
even the network stack stopped responding.

He reverted to 8.04 and said it's okay with him because it works fine
for his needs, but did anyone else run into behavior like this in moving
8.04 to 8.10?

-Bart

Old 03-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Mike McGinn

On Tuesday 03-10-2009 13:29:57 Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> I have a friend that is running 8.04 on a Dell Precision M2300. He tried
> using 8.10 on it, but said that it would lock up tight at random time
> intervals. He said the logs were empty of errors from the time of the
> freezes, pointer locked, keyboard, etc...nothing responded. Not even
> connecting remotely from another system into the laptop would work, so
> even the network stack stopped responding.
>
> He reverted to 8.04 and said it's okay with him because it works fine
> for his needs, but did anyone else run into behavior like this in moving
> 8.04 to 8.10?
>
> -Bart

I had the same problem with 8.04 before I got a new laptop - which I run 8.10
on. It is a hardware problem. First thing to do is run a memory test
overnight. Then make sure the CPU and motherboard are not covered in dust.

--
Mike McGinn
No electrons were harmed in sending this message.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Shannon McMackin

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 13:29:57 -0400, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> I have a friend that is running 8.04 on a Dell Precision M2300. He tried
> using 8.10 on it, but said that it would lock up tight at random time
> intervals. He said the logs were empty of errors from the time of the
> freezes, pointer locked, keyboard, etc...nothing responded. Not even
> connecting remotely from another system into the laptop would work, so
> even the network stack stopped responding.
>
> He reverted to 8.04 and said it's okay with him because it works fine
> for his needs, but did anyone else run into behavior like this in moving
> 8.04 to 8.10?
>
> -Bart

8.10 gave me issues with Compiz on my T61 laptop. 2 settings in the
general tab of CCSM need to be unchecked. They were "unredirect
fullscreen windows" and "force independent output painting". My T61 has
the Intel video chip. Maybe disabling compiz and checking stability
might be a good start.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Victor Padro

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Mike McGinn <mikemcginn@mcginnweb.net> wrote:

On Tuesday 03-10-2009 13:29:57 Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> I have a friend that is running 8.04 on a Dell Precision M2300. He tried

> using 8.10 on it, but said that it would lock up tight at random time

> intervals. He said the logs were empty of errors from the time of the

> freezes, pointer locked, keyboard, etc...nothing responded. Not even

> connecting remotely from another system into the laptop would work, so

> even the network stack stopped responding.

> He reverted to 8.04 and said it's okay with him because it works fine

> for his needs, but did anyone else run into behavior like this in moving

> 8.04 to 8.10?

> -Bart

I had the same problem with 8.04 before I got a new laptop - which I run 8.10

on. It is a hardware problem. First thing to do is run a memory test

overnight. Then make sure the CPU and motherboard are not covered in dust.

--

Mike McGinn

No electrons were harmed in sending this message.

My deeds are my dearest companions. *I am the beneficiary of my deeds.

My deeds are the ground on which I stand.

"more kidneys than eyes!" "Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit."

Registered Linux User 377849

Some Dell models need the BIOS to be upgraded before using Ubuntu x.x
Well that happened to me using Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 on a XPS 1330m, USB mouse and trackpad not responding, slow internet, etc.

I upgraded to the v. A12 if I remember correctly and the lock down dissapear in both Ubuntu versions.

Hope it helps.

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 03-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Shannon McMackin wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 13:29:57 -0400, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>
>> I have a friend that is running 8.04 on a Dell Precision M2300. He tried
>> using 8.10 on it, but said that it would lock up tight at random time
>> intervals. He said the logs were empty of errors from the time of the
>> freezes, pointer locked, keyboard, etc...nothing responded. Not even
>> connecting remotely from another system into the laptop would work, so
>> even the network stack stopped responding.
<snip>

Thank you to everyone who has (and might still) reply to the
thread...I've been forwarding responses to him in case he decides he
wanted to try it again!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:

> I have a friend that is running 8.04 on a Dell Precision M2300. He
> tried using 8.10 on it, but said that it would lock up tight at
> random time intervals. He said the logs were empty of errors from the
> time of the freezes, pointer locked, keyboard, etc...nothing
> responded. Not even connecting remotely from another system into the
> laptop would work, so even the network stack stopped responding.
>
> He reverted to 8.04 and said it's okay with him because it works fine
> for his needs, but did anyone else run into behavior like this in
> moving 8.04 to 8.10?
>
> -Bart

Here is a bug report on one user's lockups:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/323600

--
Charlie Kravetz