Old 03-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Default Is it possible to install the sun-java6-plugin from jaunty in intrepid?

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:18:43 +0000
Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> I have a need for the 'real' Sun Java6 plugin for my Firefox on
> Intrepid (xubuntu 8.10). It's not yet available for Intrepid but
> there is a Jaunty (9.04) version.
>
> Can anyone tell me if I can get the Jaunty version installed in
> Intrepid, or can I do a manual install of the Sun JRE in Intrepid and
> get what I want?

Isn't 'sun-java6-plugin' the real one? It is available in
synaptic-package-manager in multiverse and needs sun-java6-jre.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 03-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Derek Broughton

Charlie Kravetz wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:18:43 +0000
> Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
>> I have a need for the 'real' Sun Java6 plugin for my Firefox on
>> Intrepid (xubuntu 8.10). It's not yet available for Intrepid but
>> there is a Jaunty (9.04) version.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me if I can get the Jaunty version installed in
>> Intrepid, or can I do a manual install of the Sun JRE in Intrepid and
>> get what I want?
>>

> Isn't 'sun-java6-plugin' the real one? It is available in
> synaptic-package-manager in multiverse and needs sun-java6-jre.

(and sun-java6-bin)

If this is the same problem I recall from a day or two ago, he has forgotten
to mention that it's a 64-bit system, which may make a difference.

That said, the worst that can happen if you install the Jaunty version is
that it won't work. Give it a shot, you can always uninstall it.
--
derek

Old 03-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Chris G

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 08:42:35AM -0600, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:18:43 +0000
> Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > I have a need for the 'real' Sun Java6 plugin for my Firefox on
> > Intrepid (xubuntu 8.10). It's not yet available for Intrepid but
> > there is a Jaunty (9.04) version.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if I can get the Jaunty version installed in
> > Intrepid, or can I do a manual install of the Sun JRE in Intrepid and
> > get what I want?
> >

> Isn't 'sun-java6-plugin' the real one? It is available in
> synaptic-package-manager in multiverse and needs sun-java6-jre.

It's not available for 64-bit Ubuntu which I'm running (I think I put
it in the subject).

--
Chris Green

Old 03-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Sylphid

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:18:43 +0000
> Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
>> I have a need for the 'real' Sun Java6 plugin for my Firefox on
>> Intrepid (xubuntu 8.10). It's not yet available for Intrepid but
>> there is a Jaunty (9.04) version.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me if I can get the Jaunty version installed in
>> Intrepid, or can I do a manual install of the Sun JRE in Intrepid and
>> get what I want?
>>

> Isn't 'sun-java6-plugin' the real one? It is available in
> synaptic-package-manager in multiverse and needs sun-java6-jre.

I believe what Chris is referring to is that the sun-java6-plugin
package for the amd64 platform was recently added to the jaunty
repos but has not been back-ported yet. Sun has only released a
64bit version recently, and us 64bit users have been using Icedtea
as a replacement.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:08 PM
John Hubbard

Chris G wrote:
> I have a need for the 'real' Sun Java6 plugin for my Firefox on
> Intrepid (xubuntu 8.10). It's not yet available for Intrepid but
> there is a Jaunty (9.04) version.
>
> Can anyone tell me if I can get the Jaunty version installed in
> Intrepid, or can I do a manual install of the Sun JRE in Intrepid and
> get what I want?

Are you looking for the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version?

--
-john

2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
0b11000100 || !0b11000100
0b11000100 || 0b00111011
0b11111111
255, that is the answer.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:24:01 +0000
Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 08:42:35AM -0600, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:18:43 +0000
> > Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I have a need for the 'real' Sun Java6 plugin for my Firefox on
> > > Intrepid (xubuntu 8.10). It's not yet available for Intrepid but
> > > there is a Jaunty (9.04) version.
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me if I can get the Jaunty version installed in
> > > Intrepid, or can I do a manual install of the Sun JRE in Intrepid
> > > and get what I want?
> > >

> > Isn't 'sun-java6-plugin' the real one? It is available in
> > synaptic-package-manager in multiverse and needs sun-java6-jre.
> >
> It's not available for 64-bit Ubuntu which I'm running (I think I put
> it in the subject).

Maybe you could read that subject line again? I see nothing about 64bit
or amd64 in it.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 PM
"H.S."

Chris G wrote:
> I have a need for the 'real' Sun Java6 plugin for my Firefox on
> Intrepid (xubuntu 8.10). It's not yet available for Intrepid but
> there is a Jaunty (9.04) version.
>
> Can anyone tell me if I can get the Jaunty version installed in
> Intrepid, or can I do a manual install of the Sun JRE in Intrepid and
> get what I want?

The right way to install a package from a different distribution is to
use apt pinning method.

In this, you add the repo for the new distribution. In you case, you
will add the repo for Jaunty in your sources.list file. To do this, you
can either add the repo line manually to /etc/apt/sources.list or use
the GUI from Settings->Aministration->sources (or something similar menu).

Once you add the repo, then that repo will also be checked for upgrade.
However, you do not all upgrades from that but only one particular
package. Let us call this package foo.

Next, to tell your update manager to check the new repo only for foo,
you create an /etc/apt/preferences file. See an example here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto .

In the preferences file, you just specify a package that is to be pulled
from a particular distribution.

The following web page explains it all, with examples:
http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

Let us know how it goes.
Good luck.

ever having been read.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Chris G

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 02:46:22PM -0600, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:24:01 +0000
> Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 08:42:35AM -0600, Charlie Kravetz wrote:

> > > Isn't 'sun-java6-plugin' the real one? It is available in
> > > synaptic-package-manager in multiverse and needs sun-java6-jre.
> > >
> > It's not available for 64-bit Ubuntu which I'm running (I think I put
> > it in the subject).
> >

> Maybe you could read that subject line again? I see nothing about 64bit
> or amd64 in it.

Yes, OK, I forgot! :-) I'd had a long day mucking about with this
problem.

I have in fact simply installed the Sun Java6 JRE 'manually' now and
have the Java plugin working on my 64-bit Firefox. It took me a long
time to get there though (not mostly Ubuntu's fault, mostly lack of
information on the things that *needed* the 'real' Sun Java plugin)

--
Chris Green

Old 03-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Chris G

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:33:47AM -0500, Sylphid wrote:
> Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:18:43 +0000
> > Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I have a need for the 'real' Sun Java6 plugin for my Firefox on
> >> Intrepid (xubuntu 8.10). It's not yet available for Intrepid but
> >> there is a Jaunty (9.04) version.
> >>
> >> Can anyone tell me if I can get the Jaunty version installed in
> >> Intrepid, or can I do a manual install of the Sun JRE in Intrepid and
> >> get what I want?
> >>

> > Isn't 'sun-java6-plugin' the real one? It is available in
> > synaptic-package-manager in multiverse and needs sun-java6-jre.
> >

> I believe what Chris is referring to is that the sun-java6-plugin
> package for the amd64 platform was recently added to the jaunty
> repos but has not been back-ported yet. Sun has only released a
> 64bit version recently, and us 64bit users have been using Icedtea
> as a replacement.

That's it! .... and in my case the add-on I have been trying to make
work needs the real Sun plugin, it doesn't work with Icedtea.

--
Chris Green

Old 03-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Chris G

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 04:49:04PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
> > I have a need for the 'real' Sun Java6 plugin for my Firefox on
> > Intrepid (xubuntu 8.10). It's not yet available for Intrepid but
> > there is a Jaunty (9.04) version.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if I can get the Jaunty version installed in
> > Intrepid, or can I do a manual install of the Sun JRE in Intrepid and
> > get what I want?
> >

> The right way to install a package from a different distribution is to
> use apt pinning method.
>
> In this, you add the repo for the new distribution. In you case, you
> will add the repo for Jaunty in your sources.list file. To do this, you
> can either add the repo line manually to /etc/apt/sources.list or use
> the GUI from Settings->Aministration->sources (or something similar menu).
>
> Once you add the repo, then that repo will also be checked for upgrade.
> However, you do not all upgrades from that but only one particular
> package. Let us call this package foo.
>
> Next, to tell your update manager to check the new repo only for foo,
> you create an /etc/apt/preferences file. See an example here
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto .
>
> In the preferences file, you just specify a package that is to be pulled
> from a particular distribution.
>
> The following web page explains it all, with examples:
> http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

Aha, thank you, that's *exactly* what I was asking for. In fact it's
*brilliant* thank you very much indeed.

--
Chris Green